your opinion

Yak

Hello
I went to check on my frogs this morning, just to find my red eye tree frog belly up in her terrarium. I bought her on august 25 from a so-called reputable reptile store.
I had three, one grey tree frog, one green tree frog and the late red eye tree frog. All bought at different places.
Well I called the store and spoke to an employee. She asked me the general questions, regarding diet, temperatures and any noticeable signs of strange behavior.
I explained that I noticed she was sleeping during the day from day one, but being that they are nocturnal creatures, and did check on them in the middle of the night and she was awake, I found it to be natural. I was offering small crickets; she didn’t eat in front of me.
I was planning a visit to the vets this Friday. But she jumped ahead of me.
The store where I bought the frog “conveniently” said to me they have a policy against chameleons and frogs, where they don’t guarantee due to the risk.
The frogs apparently came from Nicaragua and were WC; this was not explained to me.
I consider myself a reasonable guy and expected an offer to replace the deceased, but instead I was declined, I ask for management and instead they offered me a “discount” for a future purchase.
What do you think?

hey I forgot to mention
they sold it to me in a plastic bag
despite the fact that I questioned it
due to the fact I live quite a bit far
he said "just open it up and blow some air from time to time"
I refuse to believe I had anything to do with it.
we don't handle the frogs at all, not even once.
and I check on all my pets at least three times a day.

I buy the appropriate size crickets
and make sure they are healthy and gutloaded

in this case, I fed her 1/8" crickets
just like the other frogs.

Temps 68 to 80 but she stayed by the water for the most time.

probably (read most definitely) not your fault, importing is always rough on animals

i guess its a case of "buyer beware" :( even without warranty there should be a basic degree of health/quality. Sorry to hear it! For what its worth, josh's frogs sells red eyes, with warranty, that are captive bred, and are amazingly healthy

Hello
I went to check on my frogs this morning, just to find my red eye tree frog belly up in her terrarium. I bought her on august 25 from a so-called reputable reptile store.
The store where I bought the frog “conveniently” said to me they have a policy against chameleons and frogs, where they don’t guarantee due to the risk.
The frogs apparently came from Nicaragua and were WC; this was not explained to me.
I consider myself a reasonable guy and expected an offer to replace the deceased, but instead I was declined, I ask for management and instead they offered me a “discount” for a future purchase.
What do you think?

hey I forgot to mention they sold it to me in a plastic bag despite the fact that I questioned it
due to the fact I live quite a bit far
he said "just open it up and blow some air from time to time"
I refuse to believe I had anything to do with it.
we don't handle the frogs at all, not even once.
and I check on all my pets at least three times a day.

well.. they dont sound that reputable to me.. first of all...even the big chain stores wouldve put it in a small box....as far a blowing air in the bag.. thats carbon..we exhale carbon not oxygen and blowing air we puff in, into a bag is not giving the animal oxygen...id go into the store, you always get better results in person and they can tell you anything under the sun to shut you up and get you out of the store but assuming that this is a local store, id demand the owner and the manager for selling you a wild caught animal without informing you of it so theres no way to know the history, a possibly sick frog that was on its way out anyways and (assuming that you followed the advice of breathing in a bag then closing it back up a few times on the way home)..they told you very incorrect improper and down right dangerous for the animal care.

customers listen to conversations customers have in stores, they listen even harder when someone is having a problem or a customer in that store is upset about something...just my 2 cents though, sorry about the loss of the red eye, theyre awesome frogs and good luck

probably (read most definitely) not your fault, importing is always rough on animals

i guess its a case of "buyer beware" :( even without warranty there should be a basic degree of health/quality. Sorry to hear it! For what its worth, josh's frogs sells red eyes, with warranty, that are captive bred, and are amazingly healthy

Yes thank you, I am checking them up, shipping costs are somewhat steep (no their fault) but yes you're right.

We are bummed out about the situation.... :(

well.. they dont sound that reputable to me.. first of all...even the big chain stores wouldve put it in a small box....as far a blowing air in the bag.. thats carbon..we exhale carbon not oxygen and blowing air we puff in, into a bag is not giving the animal oxygen...id go into the store, you always get better results in person and they can tell you anything under the sun to shut you up and get you out of the store but assuming that this is a local store, id demand the owner and the manager for selling you a wild caught animal without informing you of it so theres no way to know the history, a possibly sick frog that was on its way out anyways and (assuming that you followed the advice of breathing in a bag then closing it back up a few times on the way home)..they told you very incorrect improper and down right dangerous for the animal care.

customers listen to conversations customers have in stores, they listen even harder when someone is having a problem or a customer in that store is upset about something...just my 2 cents though, sorry about the loss of the red eye, theyre awesome frogs and good luck

thank you for shedding light into the situation, I was not aware about the carbon thing. that is one busy shop and I am just so glad I did not buy anymore chameleons from them.

yea.. i dont know if youve ever bought crickets and the people "blow" in the bag, 45 to an hour later or less theyre moving all slow and some are half dead if not dead already...thats why. the big chain stores get a bad wrap generally but i can say that the crickets ive gotten at lest from mine i worked at lol) we were actually trained on how to bag crickets lol and it was specifically to NOT breath in the bag.. we bag um up before the store opened and theyd last until we closed...we would open them the next morning if they didnt sell and re bag them but 95% lived a day and a half in the bags...sometime 2 but we would hardly ever go 2 days...no one would buy them after 2 days not b/c they were dead but the bags were pretty deflated by then and people like the "new looking full of air" bags lol

Hi everyone,
I just thought I’d give you an update on the red-eye-tree-frog deal.
I sent an email to management, got a response the next day, pretty much sticking to their original call.
Being that in the type a person who actually read and try to learn, one thing I learn from this ordeal is that there are a lot of shady individuals at every level.
What can you buy with $35.00? Dinner? Cab fare? ½ tank of gasoline? A trip to the movies?
Honesty and dignity is free, yet it is so priceless.
This individual argues that they use plastic bags for transport for the safety of the frog. But I guess he forgot they said the frog came from Nicaragua. So did it come in a plastic bag from Central America to the USA? He ignored the carbon dioxide altogether and added frogs can live for days in a single bag.
He also wrote, he doesn’t get any credit back from his suppliers on his animals, yet the other employee told me they just don’t guarantee frogs and chameleons. So if I would have bought a corn snake they would have back it up?
Now I’ve read every single post and take heed. For the sake of time, and avoid dealing with the new age type merchants, I will just simply drop it. Let them have their cake and eat it too. I won’t spend another dollar and support their business.
For a fraction of a second I almost thought I was dealing with a reputable and bona fide business person, but he's just another greedy individual who's too proud to admit they run uninformed staff.
:eek:

yea.. i dont know if youve ever bought crickets and the people "blow" in the bag, 45 to an hour later or less theyre moving all slow and some are half dead if not dead already...thats why. the big chain stores get a bad wrap generally but i can say that the crickets ive gotten at lest from mine i worked at lol) we were actually trained on how to bag crickets lol and it was specifically to NOT breath in the bag.. we bag um up before the store opened and theyd last until we closed...we would open them the next morning if they didnt sell and re bag them but 95% lived a day and a half in the bags...sometime 2 but we would hardly ever go 2 days...no one would buy them after 2 days not b/c they were dead but the bags were pretty deflated by then and people like the "new looking full of air" bags lol

i was impressed, i had to buy adult crickets at the big store, and lo and behold the young woman actually shook the bag to get air in it without blowing in it.

Back
Top Bottom