Your Entree Monsiours and Madames

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
Am I the only one who recognizes how ridiculous it is to prepare nutritious and beautiful meals for insects?

It’s a mix of fresh collards, bok choy, sweet potato, and butternut squash garnished with mustard green, kohlrabi, and alfalfa sprouts.

And now I want sweet potato and butternut squash so the oven is preheating.

Attachments

• F790891B-C2D2-457F-9E30-4D37A5BC8112.jpeg
    F790891B-C2D2-457F-9E30-4D37A5BC8112.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 26
  • D7E5E0F1-905C-4803-954A-9124E362E253.jpeg
    D7E5E0F1-905C-4803-954A-9124E362E253.jpeg
    288.9 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Am I the only one who recognizes how ridiculous it is to prepare nutritious and beautiful meals for insects?

It’s a mix of fresh collards, bok choy, sweet potato, and butternut squash garnished with mustard green, kohlrabi, and alfalfa sprouts.

These bugs eat better than I do

Well I’ve had the question about the effort and heaviness of keeping 1 irt 5 chameleons. That’s IMHO the same, the work sits in the feeders. Keeping them alive, healthy and clean, is more intenser then 5 chameleons 😅
I literally do a lot more on a daily with the bugs, than my actual chameleon. This is no joke.

I'm sure you have your methods down. But maintaining bugs for 5 chameleons when its not your job must be wild! Hats off to you

I did make a nice little mesh tower for them to climb and eat from. Raising the food dish seems to have created a better feeding response. Plus some Mizuri and Repashy bug food on a separate tray.

Attachments

• 8FFD9840-B9DC-4CD4-962B-20E2872B362C.jpeg
    8FFD9840-B9DC-4CD4-962B-20E2872B362C.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 49666ADF-C063-4956-87DF-630335995F13.jpeg
    49666ADF-C063-4956-87DF-630335995F13.jpeg
    244.3 KB · Views: 23
I literally do a lot more on a daily with the bugs, than my actual chameleon. This is no joke.

I'm sure you have your methods down. But maintaining bugs for 5 chameleons when its not your job must be wild! Hats off to you
It’s more maintenance than my chams. For them I only need to fill once a week water and feed them 3 times a week, and occasionally cleaning poop (when sticks on leaves or branches) the is self-sufficient. The bugs on the other hand 😱😱

My wheatgrass experiment was a bust. As a reminder, I put top soil in a substrate tray and planted several wheat grass plants in the dirt. Yes, it grew in like a solid putting green but it wasn’t bioactive so it stunk. All the grasshopper poop went into the blades of grass, picked up moisture, and reeked. Hopper sheds fell down into the grass and got moldy. Mushrooms grew and flies were on my windows. I dumped it all in the garbage and went back to a bare floor.

I’ll zip tie some wheatgrass pots to the mesh tower as a supplemental food source but my dream of self sustaining grasshoppers on a lush green lawn is over.

Last edited:
My wheatgrass experiment was a bust. As a reminder, I put top soil in a substrate tray and planted several wheat grass plants in the dirt. Yes, it grew in like a solid putting green but it wasn’t bioactive so it stunk. All the grasshopper poop went into the blades of grass, picked up moisture, and reeked. Hopper sheds fell down into the grass and got moldy. Mushrooms grew and flies were on my windows. I dumped it all in the garbage and went back to a bare floor.

I’ll zip tie some wheatgrass pots to the mesh tower as a supplemental food source but my dream of self sustaining grasshoppers on a lush green lawn is over.
Thanks for the heads-up, I can eliminate that approach 👍🏻

They are eating better than most college kids!

I read using sand somewhere was good for the bottom substrate with hoppers + you use it for a spawning bed in a small tupper ware container and some light misting, if you're attempting to start your own colony. That's how I've been keeping mine, then I use a cheapy strainer from the dollar tree to sift out the sheds and poops.

I read using sand somewhere was good for the bottom substrate with hoppers + you use it for a spawning bed in a small tupper ware container and some light misting, if you're attempting to start your own colony. That's how I've been keeping mine, then I use a cheapy strainer from the dollar tree to sift out the sheds and poops.
A 50/50 mix of damp sand and organic soil is good for that. These guys aren’t mature enough to lay but I would absolutely love to breed spotted bird hoppers. Thanks for the message!

Back
Top Bottom