young veiled not moving around much anymore

spikesmom

Hi everyone,

I have a young male veiled (about 5 months got him at 2 weeks hatched ) he's about 5 months now. We just recently moved him into a brand new fancy enclosure which he seemed to love the first day or two, now he's suddenly stopped cruising around and just sits at one spot at the top (where the basking lamp isn't). Wondering if anyone has any ideas?

The cage is a homemade wooden and screen enclosure. I'm running a reptisun 5.0 and a sunglow 100 watt during the day with temps inside ranging from 70 to 90 degrees and about 60 at night. He has a ficus and a pathos as well as fake vine and two pieces of my dads grapevine stems to play on. I mist at least twice a day and he does have a dripper. I saw him drink yesterday but not today.

He has been eating but today he wouldn't budge until I showed him the tub I feed out of and shot them right out. I just read that the orange cubes I feed the cricks aren't enough to properly gutload so I will be changing that. He did come down to the bottom of the cage once today, but only to shoot dirt (greeeaaat). So I will be covering the dirt in the plant pots with rocks tomorrow. Would he get lethargic when he is getting ready to shed maybe? Any input would be great!

so the 90 degrees in under the basking light? I would cut that 100 watt back and get your basking temp closer to the 80-82 degree mark. Not saying that is why he is not moving around but just something that could be changed. Also, are you using supplements to dust your feeders with?

They aren't always cruising. They do just hang out where they are comfy sometimes. Also, adults (and your's is heading toward that) tend to freeze up when they know they are being watched, so it's likely he's being a bit more careful not to move when he knows you are watching.

so the 90 degrees in under the basking light? I would cut that 100 watt back and get your basking temp closer to the 80-82 degree mark. Not saying that is why he is not moving around but just something that could be changed. Also, are you using supplements to dust your feeders with?

Yes just near the basker. That may explain why he is favoring the high spot on the other side of the enclosure. I forgot to mention that I just recently switched from 3 week to 5 week crickets ( couple of days ago) since the pet store was out of 3s. I dust them with herptivite I think it is called, daily.

Though I get that they freeze up and get comfy sometimes, Spike has been in that same spot for 2 days with only one short break when he ate dirt this afternoon.

Back
Top Bottom