Young Pygmy Just Dug Hole, need advice

This EXACT bearded pygmy chameleon (photographed on May 4th, so it has been 20 days since) has just dug quite a deep hole, about the same length as her body. She did not lay though, so I am concerned for her of course. I have had her in a separate, smaller, enclosure since around May 10th because I noticed she was acting strange. I've been monitoring her eating and water consumption. She has had 1 (if even) cricket a day, but drinks quite a bit. I often see her with her right eye closed (left eye still swivelling around) but she will open it when I spray her enclosure.
So what my concern and question is, will she lay tomorrow since her lights just went off or what?! If she doesn't lay should I be concerned that she might be egg bound? It is likely that the eggs are fertile since she came with a male, but I am not sure how healthy they will be and if she will make it after laying.
Any suggestions on the matter would be appreciated, thank you for reading.
Here is the picture of her:

I would give her as much privacy as possible to try to encourage her to lay. She's too small to help if she does become eggbound so she needs to lay those. I've never even seen my girls actually lay, just look for the eggs after. The best you can do for pygmys having problems is to optimize their environment and leave them alone for the most part. Make sure she has right temps, enough light, lots of plants and enough humidity. Mine drink off the leaves at the bottom so spraying those down really well will leave some puddles for her to sip from.

You can worry about her eye later. My male was doing that and even had some crustiness but with daily saline flushes (just a drop on the eye) and really increased humidity a few times a day he managed to clear out the debris that was irritating it and clear infection if it was present. I hooked up a humidifier straight to the cage and made it so misty y couldn't even see in there 2-3 times a day for about a half hour and then off in between so it didn't turn into a mold fest. You could start that now.

I would give her as much privacy as possible to try to encourage her to lay. She's too small to help if she does become eggbound so she needs to lay those. I've never even seen my girls actually lay, just look for the eggs after. The best you can do for pygmys having problems is to optimize their environment and leave them alone for the most part. Make sure she has right temps, enough light, lots of plants and enough humidity. Mine drink off the leaves at the bottom so spraying those down really well will leave some puddles for her to sip from.

You can worry about her eye later. My male was doing that and even had some crustiness but with daily saline flushes (just a drop on the eye) and really increased humidity a few times a day he managed to clear out the debris that was irritating it and clear infection if it was present. I hooked up a humidifier straight to the cage and made it so misty y couldn't even see in there 2-3 times a day for about a half hour and then off in between so it didn't turn into a mold fest. You could start that now.
Thank you for your quick response!
She's just in a tiny little thing right now (about the same size as a gold fish bowl) with some branches, sphagnum moss and a few inches of soil. Like I said, this was only temporary because she was doing terrible with the other girls. She actually perked up a ton ever since I did move her. So basically keep if very humid and throw in a few dry leaves to allow for puddles to form. Unless you think I should move her back to the big enclosure with the other 2 young females, where they have their own misting system and tons of plants. Also what temperature would be appropriate for her then? My current temps are between 72-75*F.

Those are good temps. Definitely some leaf litter on the bottom - it will help her have something to drink from and also make her feel more secure about laying eggs in a more hidden area. I would add a plant - something bushy so she feels safer. Nothing freaks a pyg more than feeling exposed to the big wide world. And she's not going to lay unless she feels safe.

Back
Top Bottom