YL pair updates

Extensionofgreen

Chameleon Enthusiast
my pair is still going strong, with no further issues, since the male had the yellow skin patches biopsied. The female also has some yellow patches. The biopsy revealed non specific inflammation. Speaking to other Calumma keepers has determined this to be normal occurrence and the areas resolve themselves with time and turn green again.
Since the occurrence of these yellow patches often coincides with a molt, my suspicion is that the animals scrape their soft, new, skin on the materials and foliage in there enclosure. Any bacteria, plant saps, or irritants, even simple dust entering those small abrasions cause the inflammation. They aren't fungal, are non spreading, don't harm the animal or indicate and need for concern, and the areas disappear on their own.
Anyway, here is my pair today. They are both doing fantastically and eating regularly, as well as utilizing the extra space I provided them.

Attachments

• IMG_4291.JPG
    IMG_4291.JPG
    380.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4442.JPG
    IMG_4442.JPG
    403.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4445.JPG
    IMG_4445.JPG
    416.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4447.JPG
    IMG_4447.JPG
    394.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_4448.JPG
    IMG_4448.JPG
    409.8 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_4449.JPG
    IMG_4449.JPG
    311.3 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_4491.JPG
    IMG_4491.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_4495.JPG
    IMG_4495.JPG
    325.8 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_4498.JPG
    IMG_4498.JPG
    287.7 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4520.JPG
    IMG_4520.JPG
    357.9 KB · Views: 80
They are awesome!! I love picture 6, he is like "what you lookin' at, I am large and in charge" :)

Goes without saying, your set up is amazing, but it is to be expected with your knowledge. Glad your chams are doing well. Are you enjoying the YL's? I've heard many say they have different personalities than OE's. And your plants are perfect, do they do well throughout brumation?

These guys are just coming up on a year with me and I'll be cycling them, this Winter.
I find the YL to have the most outgoing personalities, but my experience is limited to this pair of YL and a couple pairs of OE, plus heresay regarding YG.

Your Yellow Lip Calumma parsonii parsonii look great. That is terrific new that the patches one their tails are not a problem. Did you ever follow through with your outdoor enclosure? You were thinking seriously about making that enclosure.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I started the outdoor enclosures, but I was traveling during the heat of the Summer and I didn't trust leaving them outdoors, in soaring temperatures, even with automated misting. I felt placing them outside and pulling them back in over and over would be more stressful than them staying put. I do take them outside for an hour or more, as time and weather permit. I plan to revisit the idea, when I have more resources, both financially and with time. I'm thinking that building enclosure with shade cloth and utilizing planyings outside the enclosures could knock 10F off the temps easily. I plan to build the enclosures in a slightly cooler microclimate, with less extreme heat than even other areas of the property, which, due to elevation, is already cooler than lower areas, nearby.

Back
Top Bottom