Yemen + snake?

I never intended to put the snake in my Chameleons enclosure or hold it up to his face.

Exactly what I was just pointing out!
But nobody here can tell you what your chams reaction will be, (other than it wont drop dead on the spot) thats my point, they can only surmise, only you can find out.
As for precautions, dont take the corn too close, if you house it in the same room to guage the chams reaction, try to put it on the other side of the room, or screen it off visually.
If anything about the corn disturbs it, it'll be seeing it moving about.

That said, seeing a snake moving about behind glass, should be a meaningless 2 dimensional thing (provided its not close) not unlike seeing a snake on tv in the same room should not disturb it.

How good is a chams sense of smell? None of the naysayers have mentioned that. Maybe youll find out! Life is learning, never be afraid to think and learn.

Last edited:
What personal gain? what is the most likely outcome? You dont give the poster enough credit.
It's about determining risk in order to avoid it (learning), not taking it in this instance. talk sense, if you cant express yourself coherently, why bother? Ill bet you have a fully stocked bomb shelter complete with weapons incase the 'gummint' take over, afterall,
'why take the risk'? geez, Get a life!

1)First hand knowledge
2)That another animal will stress the chameleon

People have already seen and experienced what having another animal in view of a chameleon does. It causes unneeded stress. Why do you have to see that for yourself? I'm sorry you couldn't understand my statement it made perfect sense to me.

How dare you make a personal attack on me refer to me as some hick redneck. I assure you I am far from that. I don't even own a gun!

If you're gonna take risk you have to evaluate the outcome and make sure the gain is worth the risk. That's all I was trying to say... How about you get a life.

1)First hand knowledge
2)That another animal will stress the chameleon

People have already seen and experienced what having another animal in view of a chameleon does. It causes unneeded stress. Why do you have to see that for yourself? I'm sorry you couldn't understand my statement it made perfect sense to me.

How dare you make a personal attack on me refer to me as some hick redneck. I assure you I am far from that. I don't even own a gun!

If you're gonna take risk you have to evaluate the outcome and make sure the gain is worth the risk. That's all I was trying to say... How about you get a life.

Hes not gonna be able to evaluate the outcome if he dosent put it to test first is he!

OMG! can you be straight with anyone here? Ok fair enough, I take back and apologise for my bomb shelter comment :) but really, Ive kept reptiles for twenty years, always with others in veiw and its my personal experience that many dont stress!, His cham may or may not, thats what hes trying to determin ok, and im saying theres only one way to find out, and it wont stress the thing to death, it wont stress it for longer than it takes to walk in the room and back out. They guy himself has said he has no intention of harming his cham. I dont know what he may gain, perhaps he's short of space? you'll have to ask him.
what more do you want?

My veiled is currently in the middle of a room with a dozen snake cages.

I never even seen him "turn sideways" to hide from any of them as he will do each time I enter the room.

Therefore, I don't think they bother him too much. ;)

ROTFL Your my kinda guy, bring on the paint, shall I wear something slinky? :D

Im glad YOU have a sense of humour violentj

I know this might be a bit much to ask but I have a spongebob fetish... I don't suppose you could.... wear a spongebob outfit and let me fill your holes with the chocolate?

My veiled is currently in the middle of a room with a dozen snake cages.

I never even seen him "turn sideways" to hide from any of them as he will do each time I enter the room.

Therefore, I don't think they bother him too much. ;)

That's good to know Lloyd and proves a point me thinks :)

Rofl Spongebob squarepants? Oh the shame! my kids favorite, so debauched? never! LOL
were you going to play the crab? careful with those pincers....

Nothing wrong with a bit of squarepants action. I think I enjoy watching the show more than our kids do lol

I think I'll play Patrick, I've seen a few episodes where he slips inside Spongebob with no problem at all ;) See now, isn't this better than a thread full of arguing!

Boy did this thread pop up at just the right time. Over the weekend I purchased my first juvenile corn snake.

My chameleon cage is about a foot off the ground and a foot away from the ceiling. I have a stand right next to my chameleon cage with a leopard gecko in it that is about a foot off the ground. With the height differences, my chameleon could look right over the gecko cage if he wanted to. Since the gecko is nocturnal, they never saw each other and my chameleon didn't even know he had a neighbor.

I needed a place to put my snake cage, so I replaced the gecko cage with it. I put a basking light over the snake cage for added heat, but it also made the cage itself more noticeable to my chameleon. My chameleon went straight over to a branch on the snake side of his cage and started to watch my corn snake slither around. He seemed fascinated with the snake, but not really threatened by it. The next day he was still keeping his eye on the cage, even though the snake was in hiding. So, I immediately moved the snake cage completely out of sight of my chameleon. I wasn't trying to stress my chameleon, just trying to use what little space my tiny apartment offers. Everyone is happy now and no one can see each other. As a matter of fact, I don't think my snake ever knew he had a chameleon for a neighbor.

So to answer the stress question, I don't think my chameleon was necessarily stressed out by the snake, but he didn't seem to like it either. He was spending more time watching the snake cage than his usual basking. I wouldn't recommend putting the cages next to each other after my experience.

hahaha!
The argument is quite interesting.
At the end of the day, it is your chameleon.
If you want to use your chameleon as a fun learning tool, go ahead and expose him to your corn snake. It is your chameleon after all.
But, you basically have heard what we feel about yemen + snake.

In my very limited experience among other members such as Eric Adrignola, We felt that it is not a good idea.

I agree with Eric that we felt that there is something "wired" about chameleon to view snakes as predators.

Idk.. perhaps you and jojackson know more about this matter than all of us.

Please feel free to share the lesson and the experiment in the forum.
Whether it will "drop" dead :p (i don't think so- I agree with jojackson here)
or whether it will exhibit severe stress or mild stress or no stress at all.
I feel it will stress your chameleon.. but, hey, ultimately, it's your call.

My point is I think common sense should prevail in this case.

Welcome to the forum! :)

HEY! A neutral party! I say to agree with jojackson about the experimenting and such. I've had my chameleon for almost a week and have learned things about her personality just by watching and experimenting. You learn what temperatures he likes, whether or not he's comfortable being held/fooled with, or I guess even if he could handle a snake being in sight. If nothing else, I say it would be for the sake of saying your OWN experiences, and not of what you've heard or what had happened with your friend's cham. :)

chameleons arent' goign to drop dead upon sight of somthing, unless they're just about to die and it's blind luck.

Some species WILL drop down off the branch and play dead.

Most will have a constant low level stress when they're having to deal with other animals. Personally, I find that even the most hig strung of veileds learns to deal with the presence of most other animals pretty well. But they just do not like snakes and birds. And fast moving things, and strange things, and contrasting colors.

Snakes in plain view will not bother a chameleon if it's nocturnal. IF it moves about during the day, it probably will.

You should just put a piece of cardboard or something aroudn the snake's cage so he can't see it. Problem solved.

The only bad thing about keeping snakes in the same room as a chameleon is that sooner or later, the snake will escape - they always do - and depending on the species, it might try to eat your lizards. Milk snakes will do this. On eo fthe reasons I do not keep snakes - the only snakes I might even want to keep happen to specialize in eating the lizards I DO keep.

I have a veiled and a corn. My corn used to be next to my veilds cage and I had to move the cham to another room (I had another room avail. I could have just covered one side of the cage). My cham went dark any time she saw my snake and would try to get as far away from it as possible. It was obvious it was stressing her.

I recommend keeping them out of view of each other. My corn does come out during the day sometimes. :)

The only bad thing about keeping snakes in the same room as a chameleon is that sooner or later, the snake will escape - they always do...

Oh? Always eh? You must know people who have very bad memories or loose tops to their enclosures. :)

I have 14 snakes, 6 of which are corns, and NO ONE has ever escaped. Oh, they've tried of course, since corns are masters of escape, but have not yet succeeded in a variety of enclosures and I intend they never will. If you err on the side of too much closure and locking for the cage, and are diligent in your door closing, there's no reason the snakes should get out.

As for the Veiled I'll be getting soon, his cage is going to be located in the dining room - the furthest spot in the apartment from any snakes. :) It is, however, the spot right next to my rodent colony...but that can't be helped as it's the only spot big enough for that cage. Hopefully, he'll get used to the mice and rats running around (the rats will be furthest from him), but if he doesn't... I guess I'll devise a way to block his line of sight to them. Anyone ever had trouble with chams and rodents? :)

former coworker of mine is a big herpetologist and former worker at Zoo Atlanta. He kept lots of snakes and had lots of stories. Corns are bads, milks are worse, and corals are the worst. He had several just vanish from seemingly escape-proof cages.

One baby coral he captured was placed in a glass jar that was taller than the snake was long. A tiny hole was punched in the top of the lid for air. He came back the next day to transfer it into a tank, and it was dead - hanging from the top of the jar. It somehow clambored up the jar (pushing on the sides), and tried to squeeze through the tiny hole. It got it's head in a tad. It promptly swelled just enough so that it couldnt' get back out, and it was left dead and dangling.

careful - rats'll eat chameleons too! hehe. Actually, sugar gliders are the most ravenous. Many many tales of them cute and fluffy little critters escaping (about as good as snakes) and eating entire groups of reptiles and rodents. I've heard first hand reports from many petstores... Entire clutch of veileds (20 or so) with th emiddle chewed out in one night by an escaped sugar glider. My little furball used to climbon my chameleon's cage (when I let him out) and reach for my veiled - he was trying to kill him and tear him apart! Carnivorous little things... Ok sorry for the tangent. I'm bored as heck.

lol im pretty sure that would scare the **** outta a chameleon. they kno what snakes are, maybe not cats and dogs, but im sure they know what snakes are !

I agree! Most people are smarter than snakes.

Yes, and most people would think that a cage that is latched together REALLY tight would be escape proof. But the snake squeezes under the latched door, in a way no vertebrate should be able to.

Case in point: friend owned a reptile store, had a sinaloan get out every night. It was in a 10 gallon tank with a heavy mesh top. The top had four heavy duty clips holding it on - it would not budge. He also had put weights on the top. One day, he came in early, and found the snake halfway out, in between the top of the tank and the metal cover - which hung snugly OVER the edges of the tank by a good half inch. The snake wasn't just pinched between the top of the tank and the bottom of the lid - it was pinched on the side too. It's amazing what they can do.

Only way a cage is 100% escape poof is if it's smooth sided, taller and wider than the snake is long - and then some!

just wait - they all escape some day!!!!! Mark my words!!! hehe.

Only way a cage is 100% escape poof is if...

.....the owner ensures it is! Folk need to take more responsibility.

There is always a margin of human error, but thats what good husbandry is all about, regardless of species. Its a moot point anyway since the snake must then negotiate its way into the cham cage.... Show me that happening and ill show you a slack keeper.

simply put, the majority of snake escapes we hear so often about are the result of:

A: poor cage design
B: Negligence/forgetfulness on the part of the owner

or both.
Snakes like any other animal , whilst amazingly flexible, still have physical limitations.
Escape stories, usually exaggerated, completely ignore the laws of physics which dictate that a snake of given girth simply cannot pass through a gap of 'x' width, no matter how much it may flatten out and try. A snake has ribs all the way to the tail and organs beneath all the way along, It will not and cannot, deliberately break ribs, crush organs etc trying to escape. This seems to slip the attention of gullible listeners to those with 'the gift of the gab'. Feats described would be akin to you or me managing to squeeze under a locked door!
Its these limitations owners should be aware of when buying or constructing an enclosure.
Underestimating a snakes flexibility, or not considering it all (often the case) contribute to most escapes. Wildly embellished storys of houdini like prowess of escaping snakes told to the fascinated and those who have never owned a snake of any kind, become ledgend, and ledgend, after being retold over and over, becomes as good as truth.
Bingo, A myth is born and self perpetuates!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom