Yemen possible neuro issues

stalincat

hi there,

so, I've noticed recently that my female yemen has problems aiming. She misses if she tries to shoot from a distance (mind you no longer than 4"), and prefers to get really close and just kinda grab the bug with her mouth.
She is 3.5yo. She was spayed when she was 0.5yo, so I presumed she'd live longer than your average female life span. I'm worried that this is it for her.
She hasn't had any health issues, all fecals were clear, good appetite and all.
Is there a point in taking her to the vet? If it's neurological or she is just near the end of her life, they can't really do much.

If she can't shoot her tongue out fully then it could be a nutrient imbalance, an injury, an increase fiction or even a dehydration issue. We need more information in order to help.

Please answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread at the top of the health forum and post some recent photos of her.

hi there,

so, I've noticed recently that my female yemen has problems aiming. She misses if she tries to shoot from a distance (mind you no longer than 4"), and prefers to get really close and just kinda grab the bug with her mouth.
She is 3.5yo. She was spayed when she was 0.5yo, so I presumed she'd live longer than your average female life span. I'm worried that this is it for her.
She hasn't had any health issues, all fecals were clear, good appetite and all.
Is there a point in taking her to the vet? If it's neurological or she is just near the end of her life, they can't really do much.

A good check up and fecal from the vets might be a good idea. Just because she doesn't shoot her tongue out doesn't mean she's getting close to the end of her life. I've had panthers that I had to hand feed for years because they couldn't use their tongue for various reasons. Just be happy that's she still eating and make sure she has the correct lights and supplements. Three and a half is older for a female and my vet recommends vitamins more often after three years of age. Any pictures of her?

Thanks for your replies!

She is in a xl reptibreeze, t5 lamp changed recently, live and fake plants, mistking x 4 times per day for 2-3 min, nutrobal once a week and calcium every other time. My other chameleons (males) are on the same schedule, and are doing fine.
The last fecal was done about 2 months ago and it was clean, just like every fecal she ever had. She is really big, weighting roughly 250g. I don't feed her much, yet she still managed to grow huge. As I said, her appetite is as good as ever, poops look fine, as does the inside of her mouth. Strong grip. Nothing unusual in her behaviour, she is her old grumpy self.

here are some recent pics of her.
http://i.imgur.com/v9L5zKy.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/0xw7XFt.jpg

I am a little bit freaking out right now, she has something weird with her eyes and snout. That definitely doesn't look good :/ Never seen that before. It must have appeared in the last couple of hours, as she was fine during the day. Any ideas? I will not be able to go to the vet until next week. Was going to go this week, but got ill.
http://imgur.com/PGBEb3M

Thank you! She is really beautiful, very grumpy though :)

Yeah, it's a 6% UVB tube. I changed all my UVs to t5 a couple of years back.

Could it be a vit A deficiency? I'm obviously not going to attempt to treat her myself. I will be taking her to the vet next week, as I am quite worried. Just curious. As I said, my other 2 are on the same schedule and doing fine.

Back
Top Bottom