Yemen enclosure base ideas

berreg

Bit of a random question but thinking of sorting out Reggies enclosure , she is a yemen , do you need to have a lay bin in all the time ,she has just laid 30 odd eggs , last week i was wondering as the floor base in her enclosure is becoming soggy she does like to explore , so would go down on the floor and up and around, what can i do with the floor at moment . i see stuff about Jungle Bedding and hydro fleece and Hydro Drain is this a no no, as not sure if you still need to suck out water some how , as not really sure how to sort out for the best , need to get new plants and also think about jungle dawn system ? as plants just die. She is in a terrarium at the moment with a mesh top and a fan system for air flow.

Yes same one .
20220117_183210.jpg

How big is your enclosure? You say she’s in a terrarium for now…do you have plans to change this? How much work are you willing to put into set up and maintenance?

So there needs to be drainage. If you drill you are braver than I lol. The way it is done is to have a down tube so you can siphon out extra water if needed. The bottom layer is 1 to 2 inch of those clay balls or something similar, but they are the best options. Then screen over the false bottom. Soil over that. then water drais through. If it gets too full you put a tube down the down tube you put in that goes all the way down and siphon it out.

But this would be for full bio so you will want to add clean up crew.

What is the size of the enclosure ? and as mentioned what are you willing to put into it. Remember shortcuts have a way of catching up so if you are redoing the enclosure you may really want to redo the enclosures.

My female does not have a permanent lay bin. But I keep a permanent one for my others. If I were setting up I would plan for it to be a permanent part. The will lay in a bio setup if you set it up fight.

So there needs to be drainage. If you drill you are braver than I lol. The way it is done is to have a down tube so you can siphon out extra water if needed. The bottom layer is 1 to 2 inch of those clay balls or something similar, but they are the best options. Then screen over the false bottom. Soil over that. then water drais through. If it gets too full you put a tube down the down tube you put in that goes all the way down and siphon it out.

But this would be for full bio so you will want to add clean up crew.

What is the size of the enclosure ? and as mentioned what are you willing to put into it. Remember shortcuts have a way of catching up so if you are redoing the enclosure you may really want to redo the enclosures.

My female does not have a permanent lay bin. But I keep a permanent one for my others. If I were setting up I would plan for it to be a permanent part. The will lay in a bio setup if you set it up fight.
Does anyone know if exoterra uses tempered glass on the bottom panel?
If it’s tempered glass, you can’t drill it. It will literally explode (I’ve seen it and picked a small piece of glass out the guy running the drill). If it’s not tempered, it can definitely be done with the proper drill bit/tools/experience (still has dangers, I severed a tendon in my finger helping drill a tank when the backing glass in my hand shattered).

I went the drain tube route
818C2F1D-3C3A-4307-9813-22890D83EE2D.jpeg
AA71656B-AAAA-4BE9-8556-9906490ECE27.jpeg

the enclosure is 45 x 45 x 60.
I’m afraid that is much too small for an adult veiled chameleon. If you need to use glass, the Exo Terra large extra tall (is 90x45x90) can be used. While it is shorter and less deep than is recommended, the extra width somewhat compensates for that. You could then set it up bioactive if you are willing and able to put the work into it, which would then solve the drainage issue and would serve as a place to lay eggs. Here’s a fantastic blog on how to set up bioactive. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/ This is what another member created for her veiled female and it’s gorgeous, just to give you some ideas. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/kismets-bioactive-build-progression.172832/ If you don’t care to go bioactive, the only and simplest way to remove excess drainage from a glass enclosure besides drilling a drain hole in the bottom, would be to regularly use a wet vac to suck it out.

Back
Top Bottom