Yemen Cham - Help please

Could you please show me a picture of the real light I should get?

All the names is not the same, when I search in Danish.

light bulb

http://lllreptile.com/store/catalog/reptile-supplies/uvb-fluorescent-lights-mercury-vapor-bulbs/-/zoo-med-18-repti-sun-50-uvb-bulb/[/URL]

try going to this webpage. it should give you the picture of what the bulb everyone is recommending looks like.....if i set up the link properly.

It only shows the box that the light is in... not the light...

I'll try to go to the pet store on monday to talk to them again and try to explain that my light is bad and I need a new one..

Meanwhile, should I still laces his eye ointment from the vet or should I give many showers over the weekend?

It actually looks like one of his eyes are slowly opening again and Im deaply happy about that :)

heat
lightbulb.jpg

UV
504983.jpg

Nice pics.......

Nice light pictures :) I would shower him every day and then apply the ointment. Just a tiny amount. Good geal on the progress so far....

...And then I also have a Ultra vitalux light, which I only switch on for a little and then off again cause the light is very unpleasant for longer times.
Howdy Leea,

The Osram UltraVitalux 300 watt is designed for Zoo applications. Without a UVB meter you could be exposing your chameleon to levels that are "off the charts" for chameleons :(. Many keepers feel that somehwere in the range of 30-50uW/cm2 is a reasonable level of UVB to make available to a chameleon. That Osram unit is able to produce around 2000uW/cm2 at 8 inches :eek::eek::eek:. Some charts show that at even 6 feet away, it may still be too much for a chameleon :(. The UV Index chart shows that at 24" it has a UVI of 19.0. I recall reading that a UVI in that range will sunburn human skin in a couple of minutes.

Don't use that light. Let us know what other reptile UVB light sources that you have available for purchase and we can help you pick a suitable one for your chameleon :).

Lots of information on your Osram unit here:
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/zoolamps.htm

Thanks everyone for all your help.

I will go to the pet store on monday and I will let you know what other they have, so I can get the right one.

Thanks x

How's he doing?

How's he doing? Are his eyes open at all during the day? Have you turned off both of the lights? It would be better to go without for a few days than have something harmful blasting away at him....

No, nothing have helped. I have turned off the light the other day when you told me to and I had him in shower everyday and spray with water also, but it seams like he is moving away from water when its there.

I will call another vet tomorrow and get him checked again. Im very worry. :(

Today I have brought a new light, I hope its a right one.

Billede0199.jpg

Please can you tell me if I can use this?

Its Natural Sunlight 20w compact lamp - 2% UVB

Today I have brought a new light, I hope its a right one.

Billede0199.jpg

Please can you tell me if I can use this?

Its Natural Sunlight 20w compact lamp - 2% UVB

compact bulbs have been known to ccause temporary and permanant blindness and burns in reptiles. You really want to stick with a reptisun 5.0 linear tube or a reptiglo 5.0 linear tube.

Its very funny cause on the danish chameleon site they are saying that this light is okay to use......

I would be very weary of it. If you want what is best for him then you want the reptisun 5.0.

Its very funny cause on the danish chameleon site they are saying that this light is okay to use......

If the danish cham community is having success with it then give it a try. Just be very careful and keep a SUPER close eye on the cham. If he is closing one or both of his eyes or getting and crusty build up remove it. Same thing if you notice him avoiding basking directly underneath the light.

Give this article a read for some things to look for and optimal distances and cautions

http://uvguide.co.uk/compactlamps.htm

Don't use it........

You have a chameleon that is already sick and having eye issues. I would not "go ahead and try it". Unless I heard some experienced keepers on this forum recommend it I would steer clear of it. I don't remember anyone recommending that compact ever on this forum. Is there a reason why you have not gotten the Reptisun 5.0 linear tube? You must be able to order it on the internet....

getting a reptisun isnt always an option in places that arent the USA. Arcadia is pretty trusted bulb manufacturer and is highly regarded in the UK dragon community. I personally don't like compact bulbs but many have been revised recently. If the local community is using it successfully then it may in fact be a good bulb. Just because chameleonforums.com doesn't recommend it, or know about it, doesn't mean it's a gamble or a bad bulb.

"Dragon" bulbs.......

Bulbs that work for "dragons" are way to strong for chameleons. This is the leading forum for chameleons in the world. People from all over the world belong to it. I'm asking for an experienced keeper on this forum to recommend the product before it's used on an already sick chameleon. It's common sense. You may be the most experienced cham keeper in the world. But you have not been here long enough or participated often enough for me to put the health of any of my chameleons in your hands. At this forum we have seen countless numbers of chams with eye issues caused by a variety of compact bulbs as well as some linear tubes....

Back
Top Bottom