yellow silkworm cocoon????

carol5208

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have a question! Normally when my silks cocoon they spin pure white cocoons. I have noticed that the ones that are now cocooning are spinning yellow cocoons. Have never seen this before. Does anyone know what it means?. I have some Zebras and some white silks but Iam pretty sure both the white silks have started cocooning yellow also!???? At first I thought it was maybe the Zebras cause I rarely get that kind. Thanks for your help!

I know that there food has to do with the color cocoon they spin, they can be orange and red as well, I remember reading about this but don't remember everything I read about it lol. It is pretty cool:cool:

You can actually feed them different things to make there cocoons different colors, but some foods given to them wouldn't be safe to give your chameleon, but you can do it just for fun

just feeding the normal green chow that I always have, that is why I found it weird! Thanks guys!

I think you can buy worms that spin the yellow cocoons, I don't remember the details of it. It is very interesting!:)

Some just genetically make the yellow cocoons. It depends on the exact variety you have, not just "whites" and "zebras."

Sorry to butt in here (I don't know the answer to your question), but I was wondering what you all do with your cocoons and how clean they look? As a handspinner I use cocoons in my yarns sometimes and was wondering if I could combine feeding silk worms to my chameleon and then using the cocoons....?

The cocoons aren't good if you allow the moths to emerge as they cut through the silk.

sorry about the late reply! the worm cutting through would not be a problem as such, when you buy cocoons they usually have a big hole cut into them and the worm removed as well.

sorry about the late reply! the worm cutting through would not be a problem as such, when you buy cocoons they usually have a big hole cut into them and the worm removed as well.

Hi Snowberry,

when the moths emerges from the cocoon, they spill out this cocoonaise or meconium that stains the silk. You can certainly soak it and use it for spinning, and it is called peace silk. Originally silk moths spun colorful cocoons but white was a mutation that later became a mainstay. The color is in the sericin/gum that binds the silk together and it washes off in hot water. The silk end up being white anyway.

Not one part of the silkworm is wasted. It is such a beneficial insect to human and now captive reptiles too.

I think their just talented... or someone probably took really good care of them.. FRESH CAUGHT.. where do you moth shop?

Hey i am trying to come up with some knew feeders for my cham. He's about 3-4 months old and I have been looking into silk worms. Are they hard to keep? Also do you order them online? If so where do you order them from? And how long usually until they spin a caccoon? Sorry about all the questions just interested in them for my Cham. Thanks for all your help!

two most popular places to order Silkworms would be Coastal Silworms and Mulberry Farms. They both have online ordering. They are not hard to keep at all. They only eat mulberry leaves, so unless you have a tree or bush then you have to buy the chow. They cocoon after about a month or so. When they get big, if you stop feeding them they will start cocooning. Some never cocoon at all though for whatever reason. After they spin the cocoons they hatch out after about two weeks. They will immediately start breeding and laying eggs. I have never hatched out the eggs. I just feed off the moths as soon as they hatch. I guess I probably should try hatching the eggs but I have to find out what is involved with that.

actually, the cocoon color has to do with the ammount of nutrition they have had, the occasional silkie will be bullied out of afew meals, then they will have yellow, red or brown cacoons. The darker the color, the less nutrition

Back
Top Bottom