Yawn or Defense?

KeopiCat

Avid Member
Hello,

Recently on occasion I've noticed that Mondo, my ~2 year male veiled chameleon, has been doing something that to me, looks a lot like a yawn. He opens his mouth very wide and then closes it in a matter of seconds. Afterwards he is a little puffed up, but it's different from when he gapes at me angrily because there's no intense hissing sound. It's also never around feeding time so I know it's not an issue with him swallowing his food. It also doesn't make sense that it would be him regulating his temperature as his mouth doesn't stay open. I hope I'm just being paranoid and nothing is wrong. Please let me know if I need to type up the ask for help form, I just thought I would start by posting this as a question.

Many Thanks,
-Keopi and Mondo

He could be stretching to get ready for a shed. Are you hearing a popping sound when he breathes or see excess mucus in his mouth? Is it frequent?

It's possible that it's shedding related, his leg is starting to shed today. It doesn't happen very often, once every few days maximum (that I'm seeing it). I listened closely and I couldn't hear any sounds when he was breathing. I also tried taking him out to examine his mouth but he wouldn't cooperate. I'll try getting a better look later tonight and add to this thread. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom