WOW! Isopod behbehs & their mom

MissSkittles

Chameleon Enthusiast
I’ve wondered how isopods reproduce, but obviously not curious enough to have looked it up yet.
It’s pretty common for me to find a lost isopod just crawling along the floor. I pick them up and put them in the breeding bin. The one tonight was a big one. I picked it up gently with tongs and put it in my hand for the trip to the garage when I noticed all these tiny white bugs crawling all over my hand and the isopod. Ewwww!!! GROSS! I thought they were some sort of miniature maggots. Then I looked closer…they’re behbehs! I guess the momma isopod holds her behbehs on or in her abdomen until they’re ready for the world. I don’t know if they were already hatching or my picking her up with the tongs triggered immediate birth. I just know it’s pretty cool and very hard to get good pics of. Can’t really see the itty bitty little antennae and wispy legs.
F3C72B76-E3A9-451B-976D-E7F3CF35EE72.jpeg
A81BA291-494F-4ADE-94B9-D049CC89AA44.jpeg

I’ve learned far more than I ever wanted about icky bugs since keeping my chameleons and have developed some respect and even (dare I say) compassion towards at least some of them.

Back
Top Bottom