Wound and black patches on chin :(

BlueSky

Hi everyone! My two year old male somehow got a cut on his chin awhile back, where the scales had peeled away. It seemed like it was healing until recently, when I noticed more gray patches showing up on his chin in the area of the wound.

All of his other colors are bright and happy, but he has been unusually lethargic lately, and hasn't been eating much. Any idea what's going on?

20180722_172157.jpg
20180722_172201.jpg

I'll attach as much information as I can--please help, cham forums!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - 2 year old male veiled chameleon. I've had him since he was a few months old.
  • Handling - Rarely--once every few weeks.
  • Feeding - ~5 crickets/day
  • Supplements - Near daily calcium dusting without D3, occasional dusting with calcium+D3, multivitamin.
  • Watering - Twice daily hand misting
  • Fecal Description - No notable change in feces--firm and regular.
  • History - This is his first medical problem since I've had him.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, 18''x18''x36''
  • Lighting - Heat and UV lamp
  • Temperature - Basking spot around 90F, ambient temp 75-80F, nighttime temp low 70s.
  • Humidity - Usually 60% humidity, higher directly after misting
  • Plants - Mostly plastic plants, one large live in the middle.
  • Placement - Cage placed on a raised surface, not near direct sunlight or fans.
  • Location - Midswest US

Looks like an ongoing infection, as the spines are peeling away. He may be in pain, so is not eating or as active. How old is you UV bulb? If you've used it for more than 6 months replace it. Hard to tell if a topical antibiotic would take care of it. There might be an abscess forming under the old injury. Probably worth a vet visit.

I don’t like the looks of it and the fact it is now developing those black spots, I think it is time you take him to a vet as he may need some type of oral anti biotic as well as a topical.

Your cage is small for an adult Male veiled, it should be at least 2' x 2' x 4' tall. Has he ever displayed rostral rubbing again the mesh?

Honestly that looks horrible. His scales & chin spines are literally falling off - Take him to the vet, I'm not sure what you're waiting for!!

Thanks for the quick responses, guys. :)

He looks very bad today--lethargic and not eating. I'm taking him to the vet in a few hours. Keep my baby boy in your thoughts!

Back
Top Bottom