Would you feed a 12 hour dead superworm?

Franquixote

Established Member
My 2 year old panther just started eating superworms- he refused them for the last 2 years, afraid of them even. Must have been bit as a hatchling or something.
Anyway, for those that are squeamish about these guys biting, all you have to do is run some cool/lukewarm water over them in a small continer 3-4 times and they get paralyzed (no fear of biting you or the lizard).
Yesterday afternoon I put a msall amount of gut load in with 2 superworms and misted the container. The small amount of water must have killed them.
The room they are in is chilly- 65-67 so I thought they might just be cld but it has been an hour with no signs of life

Think it's safe to feed to him or would you think that the second they die bad stuff starts happening inside that would potentially make the chameleon sick?
They are still flexible and don't have any odor.
Thinking dumb to take a chance but if any of you regularly feed off recently deceased worms (a day tops) I don't want to just throw away something that was alive... just my thing about being respectful to the prey as well as predator.

I concur, I chucked out the worms but like I said feel bad to throw away bugs luke they are "objects" and not life forms.
Kinda sentimental or whatever, but I respect all creatures great or small.
For the record, they did NOT revive. Amazing how susceptible to water these larvae are. A few rinses in a disposable cup and they get stunned for an hour.
Useful tip for those that are concerned about their tendency to pinch.
While it may seem absurd to wash the insects before feeding them off, I think it helps to keep undesirable bacteria on their outside to a minimum, along with rinsing off some potential parasites like pinworm eggs.
I always rinse feeders, feel kind of bad basically waterboarding them, but sometimes the crap that comes off them makes me glad I do so.
Also helps supplements to stick and adds a drop or two extra moisture as well as warming them up a bit in lukewarm water which I am sure can't hurt as far as making the feeder more palatable and not cooling off his stomach.
I cringe when I see people feed off waxworms and similar from a 38 degree fridge.

Back
Top Bottom