Would this work?

Pearl Fields

Avid Member
Hi! I would like to get some better quality things for my veiled chameleons enclosure. The thing is I’m only 12 and my parents don’t want to have to pay for much more chameleon things, sooooooo I don’t have a ton of money to spend.
I currently have a monsoon solo mister we got for a decent price, but I would MUCH rather get a mistking!! I would also like a fogger, but if I got that I would need a Good quality dehumidifier, which is like, 200 or something. Also I want to build him a cage (not cheap) and get a bunch of plants to put in it, which is also not cheap. So all that would end up being like 1000 dollars!!! ? which means I would have no money left over, but I want some extra for emergencies.

so I’m wondering if this will work, in place of fogging?
What if I misted with the mistking before lights on in the morning, after lights off at night, and also at like 2??? Would it be OK if the basking light went off at 1:55 pm to reduce heat when misting, (but the uvb stayed on so he still knew it was daytime), and then at 2 the mister came on for a few minutes, and after about 5-10 min more, the basking light came back on??

What I mean by would this work is like would he get RI or would he be ok with this and it would be unlikely for him to get RI??

This RI stuff has gotten ridiculous lol. You're not going to cause an RI misting midday. You don't need a fogger either. What I would recommend, and know to work, is doing a long mist session in the morning and then just a couple minutes at the end of the day.

Contrary to what people make it seem, RI's are pretty rare. Just about 2-3 years ago almost everyone was misting during the day, basking light on and all. I don't know anyone that did that with otherwise good care and caused an RI.

I spray my guy with the hose for an hour+ in the hot sun, yet no RIs. It's because there's ventilation, just like there is in our enclosures.

Fogging is fine, but you don't NEED to do that method. Prove me otherwise :)

This RI stuff has gotten ridiculous lol. You're not going to cause an RI misting midday. You don't need a fogger either. What I would recommend and know to work is doing a long mist session in the morning and then just a couple minutes at the end of the day.

Contrary to what people make it seem, RI's are pretty rare. Just about 2-3 years ago almost everyone was misting during the day, basking light on and all. I don't know anyone that did that with otherwise good care and caused an RI.
Yeah I know it’s probably unlikely but I’m a little paranoid

Hi! I would like to get some better quality things for my veiled chameleons enclosure. The thing is I’m only 12 and my parents don’t want to have to pay for much more chameleon things, sooooooo I don’t have a ton of money to spend.
I currently have a monsoon solo mister we got for a decent price, but I would MUCH rather get a mistking!! I would also like a fogger, but if I got that I would need a Good quality dehumidifier, which is like, 200 or something. Also I want to build him a cage (not cheap) and get a bunch of plants to put in it, which is also not cheap. So all that would end up being like 1000 dollars!!! ? which means I would have no money left over, but I want some extra for emergencies.

so I’m wondering if this will work, in place of fogging?
What if I misted with the mistking before lights on in the morning, after lights off at night, and also at like 2??? Would it be OK if the basking light went off at 1:55 pm to reduce heat when misting, (but the uvb stayed on so he still knew it was daytime), and then at 2 the mister came on for a few minutes, and after about 5-10 min more, the basking light came back on??

What I mean by would this work is like would he get RI or would he be ok with this and it would be unlikely for him to get RI??
That sounds good to me. I currently don’t use a fogger at night as I’d probably want to die from the humidity. When I get my chams back in their own room, then they’ll get some night fog. I run my mist king for 2-3 minutes twice daily and once for 2 mins mid day.
Instead of asking your parents to give you $$, have you tried asking for ways you can earn some money from them? Maybe some other family member has some jobs they can pay you to do?
Regarding plants, many can be started from clippings. Pothos and wandering Jew are super easy to make more from clippings. Earlier this summer I accidentally broke the top off a dracaena. Put the broken part in water until it grew a root and now have an extra plant. Figure out which plants you’d like, ask around the people you know if anyone has any that you could get a clipping from.
Also, honestly if your current misting system is working well enough, save your money. I know it’s our natures to want to get the best or better but sometimes that isn’t always in our best interests...or budgets.

Also, honestly if your current misting system is working well enough, save your money. I know it’s our natures to want to get the best or better but sometimes that isn’t always in our best interests...or budgets.
But still lol I really want a mistking
and I mean I have plenty enough... from my past 3 years of savings and hardly spending anything[/QUOTE]

Hi! I would like to get some better quality things for my veiled chameleons enclosure.
That's admirable, but... rats, you're too young for me to quote Mick Jagger...
Oh, well... We can't always get what we want, so the next best thing is to prioritize. I would (and often have) make a list of the things you'd like to get, and prioritize it according to real need.

Sounds like MissSkittles solved your plant issue.

As long as your Monsoon works, use it until it dies and save your money.

Your basking light doesn't need to be on all day—just for the few hours in the morning when your cham actually basks—as long as you can maintain temps in the enclosure.

It might also be a good idea to review a few care sheets and other info in the Resources section. ;)

Back
Top Bottom