Would I need drainage?

TheBipolarBear

Hey! I'm planning a 48x24x24 screen cage with a Perspex box in the bottom with live plants. If I'm hand misting 3 times a day, would that soil still need to be drained? Or would it be absorbent enough to be released back into the air as humidity?

I'm new to chams. And don't have one yet but I've had my setup running for a few months and just hand misting I got a gnat problem because my plant pots didn't drain enough. I'm not saying that will happen to you. But I didn't think about it when I started. Others might be more help.

It would be safe to have drainage just to stop any water collecting in the box, mine never dripped much but it did get some water coming through the drip holes

That would depend on the amount of water you use with each misting, how moist the soil is when you set it up, how absorbent that soil is, the relative humidity of the room you have the enclosure set that will determine the evaporation rate.

Even with all of that factored in, there is no way for any of us to know the answer to your question without doing some rocket science equations.

I think you are going to have to wing it and adjust accordingly. :p

Most have drainage just in case. You don't want to make your enclosure a stinky swamp.

That would depend on the amount of water you use with each misting, how moist the soil is when you set it up, how absorbent that soil is, the relative humidity of the room you have the enclosure set that will determine the evaporation rate.

Even with all of that factored in, there is no way for any of us to know the answer to your question without doing some rocket science equations.

I think you are going to have to wing it and adjust accordingly. :p

This could be true..

Let me as you this.. How deep of soil are you planning on using?

e7ega3y7.jpg
emu6a8yd.jpg

These are my pics from before

Back
Top Bottom