would any one know what this is?????????????

danni

i've jest been cleaning montys viv, as he turned i noticed a black mark on his jaw, i got a wwet ear bud & wiped it, but nothing came off.

i have done my best to take pic's, but he keeps grbbing the camera & wanted to climb on it.
the mark wasnt there earlier, so i am woundering if it is a cricket bite? this has happened to him before, but it looked different then.

any help would be great
danni x

will try & get a better pic - if i can

Attachments

• SP_A0070.jpg
    SP_A0070.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 189
  • SP_A0069.jpg
    SP_A0069.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 143
  • SP_A0071.jpg
    SP_A0071.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 199
just got 2 more better pics

Attachments

• SP_A0074.jpg
    SP_A0074.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 151
  • SP_A0075.jpg
    SP_A0075.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 156
sorry for posting lots of pic's - but this is the best i will get from him

Attachments

• SP_A0076.jpg
    SP_A0076.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 187
An uneducated guess would be it looks like a burn...completely uneducated!

i thought it looked like a burn, but his basking temp is very low - 82 & its on a thermosate dimmer, so it is very rarly on full.

it could be a cricket bite, i cant see any in his viv, but he has a backing in there & they hide down the back, but as soon as he see them, he normal eats them.

i have put some savlon on it, but its not really bothing him - i'm just a little bafeled.
the last time he was bit by a cricket, it bled, but this is just black :confused:

I dont think it would be a burn being on that part of his face. I would think it would be kinda hard to get just a little spot right there from a lamp burn. I would check for anything sharp in your cage. One thing I would also check is the ends of the bio vines. Once they start to get worn down the metal will stick out of the ends.

Danni, it is not a burn. Sometimes when chams chomp on a cricket or worm they bite back. It is just a little bruise and should go away within a day or two. My chams get them from time to time, especially if they don't eat the bug/worm head first.

Lily's never been bitten by a cricket, so I don't know what a bite wound would look like. Only thing I can think of is insect guts - Lily had waxworm guts on her face for ages when I first got her and it didn't come off until she shed. Has he eaten a locust? They spit out black stuff sometimes in defence. It would probably wash off if it was that and you tried to wash it off as soon as you saw it. Although if it had chance to dry on it may not wash off that easily. It could also be a bruise.

Danni, it is not a burn. Sometimes when chams chomp on a cricket or worm they bite back. It is just a little bruise and should go away within a day or two. My chams get them from time to time, especially if they don't eat the bug/worm head first.

oh right - i did wounder why when i cleaned it with water, there was nothing on the ear bud (when he was bit before, when i cleaned the bud was red!) he has been eating crickets today!!! so that would make perfect sence!!!!

i'll keep my eye on it!

i dont really like crickets due to how they are & they keep escaping, but he seem s to like them!!!!

thanks again!!!

xx

Lily's never been bitten by a cricket, so I don't know what a bite wound would look like. Only thing I can think of is insect guts - Lily had waxworm guts on her face for ages when I first got her and it didn't come off until she shed. Has he eaten a locust? They spit out black stuff sometimes in defence. It would probably wash off if it was that and you tried to wash it off as soon as you saw it. Although if it had chance to dry on it may not wash off that easily. It could also be a bruise.

yeah, he's had locust too - but, i dont know when today this happended, i was in his viv at lunch time & it wasntst there then, but then ive not been around much, untill this evenin g when i wAS cleaning him out.

he's very proudly showing it off now, every time i look, he sticks his head in the air & looks at me with 1 eye as if to say "can you see it!!!!"

he's very proudly showing it off now, every time i look, he sticks his head in the air & looks at me with 1 eye as if to say "can you see it!!!!"

I bet he's wondering if you've got another ear bud in your hand and he's keeping an eye on you in case you try to give him another wash!! :D

I bet he's wondering if you've got another ear bud in your hand and he's keeping an eye on you in case you try to give him another wash!! :D

i had it in my mouth after i gave him a wiping, i got him out & be grabbed it, pulling it out of my mouth!!!!!

dont thinnk he liked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I used one to clean guts off Lily's face before she turned her head and and tried to bite it! I don't think chams like being cleaned up! :D

Is it a problem if these balck marks are still there after a week or two? i have noticed one on Hugos nose that is still there two weeks later, and he now has one on his chest.

Mine had that too, it was getting really hard, and not looking good, I took her to the vet and he said it was a bacteria, from the temp changing.. got meds for her now she is fine. But that might not be the case for yours. but keep a eye on it.

Does it have a red coloring to it when you wiped it off? Could just be some blood? Not sure. Maybe even a bruise.. if it doesn't come off when he sheds it could be bacteria or an infection. If it seems to be bothering him take him to a vet.

Back
Top Bottom