Worry about my new arrived Carpet Chameleon😥

waishancheng2007

I received my juvenile male Carpet Chameleon yesterday. He is getting darker and darker and not eating, so kinda make me worry.

I understand he need some time to adjust to the new environment, but I saw other picture from others when they got their carpet, even from there same seller, non of them looks Like mine.....

I wonder if you guys have this kind of experience and what sign is a red flag that I should be alarm?

Day 1:
20211117_115240.jpg
20211117_163837.jpg

Day 2:
20211118_092423.jpg

Only a couple of days in I would wait at least a week without any kind of handling. Some signs would dehydration you would see sunken eye turrets another would be the tail will look thin is a sign of him not eating. I would look more into your husbandry. You should fill out this form to get the advice you need. My first thing would to be is to remove your fake styrofoam rock background. Not the best idea for any chameleon unless we are finding chameleons in caves 🤔. But most importantly if you are seriously concerned about him not eating then that background needs to come out. Because this is where all your feeder insects are going to hide behind. If you still insist on having it as your background then take it out of the cage as that is a must and mount it to the back outside of your enclosure.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Male 2.5 month carpet
  • Handling - Didn't touch him after put him into the tank
  • Feeding - small cricket and 1/4 inch Phoenix worm. I put food in a cricket feeder on the left of the tank but he never check it out yet.
  • Supplements - I dust the Phoenix worms with Repashy.
  • Watering - Water dripper near the basking area. And mist 1 minute at 8pm, 2am, 7am.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - 24 x 18 x 36 Repti Zoo hybrid Tank. Top and one side is screen, rest is glass.
  • Lighting - 24" Florescent tube + 24" zoo med T5 10.0 HO turn on from 8am - 7:30pm. And 100w basking bulb turn on from 9am to 5pm. Have a 3rd dome light for 40w or ceramic just in case need extra heat but never turn it on yet.
  • Temperature - Ambient around 75-78, basking 85-90, lower part of tank 65. Night time dropped to 70.
  • Humidity - 40 -50 % during the day, and I guess around 70-80% at night coz I mist more at night.
  • I added a computer fan on the side screen bottom as an exhaust fan for better air circulation due to the controversial about screen VS glass, but I didn't turn it on because of Frank suggestion on glass tank for NE states which is dry in general.
  • Placement - In basement and I do sometime hang around there, I go there more now coz he is here.
  • Plant - All live plant, try to set up with bioactive, so with ceramic drainage layer and soil, sphagnum moss+ Oak litter, live moss, etc.
  • Location - PA

Only a couple of days in I would wait at least a week without any kind of handling. Some signs would dehydration you would see sunken eye turrets another would be the tail will look thin is a sign of him not eating. I would look more into your husbandry. You should fill out this form to get the advice you need. My first thing would to be is to remove your fake styrofoam rock background. Not the best idea for any chameleon unless we are finding chameleons in caves 🤔. But most importantly if you are seriously concerned about him not eating then that background needs to come out. Because this is where all your feeder insects are going to hide behind. If you still insist on having it as your background then take it out of the cage as that is a must and mount it to the back outside of your enclosure.
Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
My rock background is the first thing I put in, I afraid I have to redo my whole tank if I take it out. So may not be a good idea now. I have a cricket feeder so most food is still inside the feeder. He seems didn't have a chance to check it out yet. I tried to Tongs feed him but seller said leave him alone just like you said so I stopped.

Your enclosure looks awesome. But a 100 watt bulb and your only getting 90 at best for basking spot. Seems kinda low to me I’m thinking it would be higher then that. How are you checking the basking spot? I was going to suggest you talk to the breeder and if it’s Frank P I’m sure he would be more then willing to help you out as I would think he would want the best for the babies he sells.

I actually just got my baby male today too! Mines gray but not as dark I think they are just duller as babies to begin with that doesn’t look like the container frank sends his in mine was large for what was in it with only a damp towel honestly I wouldn’t be worried tho I’ve had my Jackson’s I know it’s not the same species but same concept take almost 2 weeks to start regularly eating as a healthy baby it should just start eating on its own the best thing is to try to feed it the way the breeder was whether that be free range or cup not much help as I’m also new to carpets but they are absolutely adorable

I love the enclosure personally I’m not a fan of glass tho because of how heavy it is and it’s a pain to haul around

I’m absolutely captivated by these guys don’t get me wrong the horns on Jackson’s are impressive and the prehistoric spikes on hoehnelii are impressive as well but these guys just captured my heart with that adorable alien looking face

I’m absolutely captivated by these guys don’t get me wrong the horns on Jackson’s are impressive and the prehistoric spikes on hoehnelii are impressive as well but these guys just captured my heart with that adorable alien looking face
I was thinking to get a Jackson too before I decided to go with carpet, but about bringing down the temperature to 50s at night bring me concern I won't be able to do that.

I was thinking to get a Jackson too before I decided to go with carpet, but about bringing down the temperature to 50s at night bring me concern I won't be able to do that.
It doesn’t have to be all the way to 50s low 60s is fine what’s hard is keeping it low while also keeping humidity high cuz of the fan and ac and stuff

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new baby! Just want to add that it’s dangerous to tong feed chameleons because it can damage their tongue. We’ve had a lot of people on here who’s chams had injured tongues from tong feeding. Some have even had to have their tongues amputated. Just wanted you to know.

Are you sure he is CBB? Your husbandry sounds good and you mentioned you're following Frank Payne's advice, so I'm sure you're on the right track. It could just be the stress of moving into a new environment and in a few days/weeks he will settle in and show improvements. If you're really worried I would suggest taking him to an experienced chameleon vet to get a fecal float & blood test to make sure he doesn't have any parasites or abnormal levels.
(P.S. your enclosure looks absolutely incredible!! 😲)

Are you sure he is CBB? Your husbandry sounds good and you mentioned you're following Frank Payne's advice, so I'm sure you're on the right track. It could just be the stress of moving into a new environment and in a few days/weeks he will settle in and show improvements. If you're really worried I would suggest taking him to an experienced chameleon vet to get a fecal float & blood test to make sure he doesn't have any parasites or abnormal levels.
(P.S. your enclosure looks absolutely incredible!! 😲)
That sounds really hard with that size of chameleon I didn’t realize how small they are I’m not sure most vets can work with something THIS tiny I was expecting small but not like this

That sounds really hard with that size of chameleon I didn’t realize how small they are I’m not sure most vets can work with something THIS tiny I was expecting small but not like this
I was wondering about that as well. I'm going to take mine to the vet soon - have to get her on pet insurance first - and feel like they could at least do a fecal float. She had a pretty big poo recently. I actually see the poos and urates more than her. 😅 Not sure about bloodwork while they're still juvenile, but that shouldn't be necessary at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom