Worried :(

Jocccellynnn

Established Member
I over analyze everything and it may be nothing. By my chameleon hasn’t been moving around as much as she used too and almost like lays down In her basking area. I want to take her to the vet I’ve been calling local vets all day trying to find one I’m located in Southern California (San Bernardino) I’m willing to drive as far as a few hours If I have to but then that leads me on to worry how long she can be in the car? I don’t think anything is dramatically wrong with her but I have seen a change in her behavior and I’m thinking maybe she’s becoming gravid? But she’s still young and I don’t feed her much and I’m regulating her temps so they aren’t as high, she has a lay bin. I feel like I’m doing everything right but I’m really not sure what’s going on with her. The first picture is what I meant by “laying” and the second picture was taken when I was feeding her this morning. She perks up when I feed her and mist her cage but idk maybe I’m overreacting. I just want some reassurance and maybe some direction to a good vet if anyone is located near me. Thanks for all your help

Attachments

• 7F02B304-D340-4DCC-B319-79E30947D584.jpeg
    7F02B304-D340-4DCC-B319-79E30947D584.jpeg
    172.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 80067240-CA5E-4F3D-BF37-DD91CEB1BBC1.jpeg
    80067240-CA5E-4F3D-BF37-DD91CEB1BBC1.jpeg
    349.3 KB · Views: 84
I’m having trouble trying to get the ask for help form on here (there’s a link in my description for it), but if you could fill that out to make sure everything is in tip-top shape, that’d be great! There is also a pinned thread of local vets in the health clinic forum. @jannb is great with finding vets, as well!

@ERKleRose , OP had done a husbandry review fairly recently. @Jocccellynnn can you post your review and update the changes you've made as a result?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful

@ERKleRose , OP had done a husbandry review fairly recently. @Jocccellynnn can you post your review and update the changes you've made as a result?

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
Thanks for posting the form! I haven’t been on the forum for a few years, so I wasn’t sure if the OP had done one yet or anything.

Chameleon Info:
I have already filled this form out a few months back but I will again.

• Your Chameleon - Female veiled chameleon around 6 months from my knowledge. I don’t know her exact hatch date but I got her on 9/11/20 so a little over 4 months in my care.
  • Handling - I rarely handle her now maybe once a week at most.
  • Feeding - I feed her 5-6 feeders every other day now. I feed her Dubia roaches, crickets, bsfl, and occasionally horn worms and wax worms. I gutload the roaches and crickets with kale, sweet potato, blue berries and dandelion greens.
  • Supplements - I dust the feeders with flukers calcium without D3 every feeding. And just recently got herptevite multivitamin with d3 that I have used once so far.
  • Watering - I hand mist, for two minutes before lights on. Then after lights off I spray at 9:00 pm and again at 2:00 am. I see her drink in the mornings.
  • Fecal Description - Never had a fecal test but I have an appointment for one this Saturday. They are normal, brown and white, sometimes a very light yellow.
  • History - She was in a temporary baby cage for the first few months and I upgraded the cage the middle of November.
Cage Info:

• Cage Type - I have the 2x2x4 screen cage from DIY Cages
  • Lighting - I have a 65 w incandescent heat bulb. I have the t5 5.0 HO linear UVB. Lights on at 8:00 am lights off at 8:00 pm.
  • Temperature - I have a thermometer with a probe, I’ll link a picture below. Her basking area is 81 I’m having a little trouble getting it lower than that rn. Below her basking area it’s around 75 degrees and the coldest area in her cage is pretty shaded and it gets as low as 69. At night temps drop down to 62-65.
  • Humidity - I hand mist. Mentioned the routine above. The humidity levels during the day range from 27-32. At night I get them up to 90 but they go back down to 40 fairly quickly. I measure with a hydrometer .
  • Plants - I have four pothos. And a money tree.
  • Placement - cage is located in the lowest traffic area in my house. The “den” it’s in between all the rooms if that make sense. It’s located near the bathroom but not next to any vents or direct windows. It’s not elevated off the floor I’m still working on that.
  • Location - Southern California. But I’m the mountains and it’s snow season.
Current Problem - Just weird behavior. Nothing super abnormal it’s just almost like she’s weak or something. She’s perfectly capable of climbing normal and her legs looks strong, she still is eating and drinking. She’s just laying strange when basking.

--------------

Please Note:

Attachments

• 7B4B5420-99B7-426F-A075-8C054A6BE718.jpeg
    7B4B5420-99B7-426F-A075-8C054A6BE718.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 70
  • 97D50880-4BD0-494F-8DE3-7B98B1665BB4.jpeg
    97D50880-4BD0-494F-8DE3-7B98B1665BB4.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 65
  • D1B724D4-DDE9-47E3-B342-8D7D6D52EB35.jpeg
    D1B724D4-DDE9-47E3-B342-8D7D6D52EB35.jpeg
    256.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 2F3ECF4A-50BB-47BD-B04C-B57652EFD482.jpeg
    2F3ECF4A-50BB-47BD-B04C-B57652EFD482.jpeg
    136.8 KB · Views: 73
  • FD9B5F0D-3FC0-4C80-893B-F9689D335C54.jpeg
    FD9B5F0D-3FC0-4C80-893B-F9689D335C54.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 71
  • FC33D38D-2DB6-4223-8A54-DFD9D7BB4F48.jpeg
    FC33D38D-2DB6-4223-8A54-DFD9D7BB4F48.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 64
So Cal doesn't have significant changes in weather between seasons right?
How old is she these days?

@Beman Do you know a good vet in this area?
No not normal so cal. But I live in the mountains and it’s currently snowing but we keep it warm inside so it hasn’t affected temps or humidity much. She’s around 6 months I think maybe a little older.

I’m not the best with young veiled care, so I’ll let someone else with more knowledge and experience weigh in on that, but Fluker’s isn’t the best for a supplement. I’d recommend Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all (Indoor or Outdoor version depending on your UVI) with the Vit-all gutload, Zoo Med phosphorus-free and D3-free calcium with Reptivite with D3, or the Arcadia supplements. I’d also add more variety your gutload (my computer won’t let me attach anything, so hopefully someone can post the gutload chart picture). If you have the money, I’d invest in an automated mister and a fogger. I’m not sure about her behavior, but 6 months is around the time female veileds become sexually mature. Do you have a lay bin set up for her? If you haven’t discovered it yet, the Chameleon Academy by Bill Strand is an amazing resource with tons of info and knowledge!

I’m not the best with young veiled care, so I’ll let someone else with more knowledge and experience weigh in on that, but Fluker’s isn’t the best for a supplement. I’d recommend Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all (Indoor or Outdoor version depending on your UVI) with the Vit-all gutload, Zoo Med phosphorus-free and D3-free calcium with Reptivite with D3, or the Arcadia supplements. I’d also add more variety your gutload (my computer won’t let me attach anything, so hopefully someone can post the gutload chart picture). If you have the money, I’d invest in an automated mister and a fogger. I’m not sure about her behavior, but 6 months is around the time female veileds become sexually mature. Do you have a lay bin set up for her
Yes she has a lay bin set up. She keeps poopin in it though. Okay I’ll look into the supplements you went over, that shouldn’t be a problem, I picked the flukers up when I first realized I needed calcium without d3. I have been looking into getting an automatic mister I hope to get one after I get paid. Thanks for the help

I’m not the best with young veiled care, so I’ll let someone else with more knowledge and experience weigh in on that, but Fluker’s isn’t the best for a supplement. I’d recommend Sticky Tongue Farms Miner-all (Indoor or Outdoor version depending on your UVI) with the Vit-all gutload, Zoo Med phosphorus-free and D3-free calcium with Reptivite with D3, or the Arcadia supplements. I’d also add more variety your gutload (my computer won’t let me attach anything, so hopefully someone can post the gutload chart picture). If you have the money, I’d invest in an automated mister and a fogger. I’m not sure about her behavior, but 6 months is around the time female veileds become sexually mature. Do you have a lay bin set up for her? If you haven’t discovered it yet, the Chameleon Academy by Bill Strand is an amazing resource with tons of info and knowledge!
Also, I have the gutloading picture, thank you! I try to add more variety but it gets pricy especially if I’m not gonna be eating the fruits and veggies and then they go bad.

Yes she has a lay bin set up. She keeps poopin in it though. Okay I’ll look into the supplements you went over, that shouldn’t be a problem, I picked the flukers up when I first realized I needed calcium without d3. I have been looking into getting an automatic mister I hope to get one after I get paid. Thanks for the help
I have a Climist mister and it’s the same as a MistKing, but way cheaper. You could also make an ExoTerra Monsoon work as well, it’s just not as adjustable as the other two.
Also, I have the gutloading picture, thank you! I try to add more variety but it gets pricy especially if I’m not gonna be eating the fruits and veggies and then they go bad.
You can also buy some of the pre-made gutloads on that as a supplementation to your current gutloads.

I have a Climist mister and it’s the same as a MistKing, but way cheaper. You could also make an ExoTerra Monsoon work as well, it’s just not as adjustable as the other two.

You can also buy some of the pre-made gutloads on that as a supplementation to your current gutloads.
I have looked at both Climist and mist kings recently and they’re both pretty similar in price in my area for some reason. But i think it will be worth it.

The pre-made gutloads last way longer, and if you shop around on the sponsors of this site, you usually get the best deal. An automatic mister is definitely with it!

Lol my girl always poops in her lay bin which is good as eggs will becoming from the same place

Back
Top Bottom