Worried

Rogo

So I got a my male veiled cham just 2 days ago. His age is about 3 months and he is brown all day and at night he turns green temps are around 80 f and basking not quite sure i have an analog thermometer :( and while he is basking he sometimes opens his mouth is he ok? i mist 3 times a day to keep humidity up and keep a water dripper going all day.

that's pretty normal, ours does the same thing, brown one minute then dark green the next, in the morning when he wakes up he's a lime green color

ok and can i trust that he will hunt crickets down i released 6 in this morning but i have no clue if he got them or not so i just made a feeder cup to make sure he is getting them

I put the crickets in a feeder cup, if they make an escape from LA then we go looking for them, not good if they are left in the enclosure while your Cham is sleeping

Mine enclosures have whole colonies of crickets living in them, who knows what else too lol. There's a lot for them to eat in there though.

ok and how do i make it sticky just provide info in that format? from the link given or just providing that info then is known as sticky

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled cham, 3 months, male, and 2 days with me
  • Handling - once to put him in enclosure
  • Feeding - fed 6 crickets today once per day don't know if he has eaten any tho :(
  • Supplements - with repashy calcium plus lod
  • Watering - mist 3 times a day for about 10 sprays and have a dripper going 24/7
  • Fecal Description - havent seen any yet
  • History - not much

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - exo terra glass 12x12x18 in screened top and vents in front
  • Lighting - zoo med 40w heat bulb blue, and zoo med reptisun 5.0 uvb 12 hours on 12 off
  • Temperature - i have analog thermometer so cant answer much that when lights are on its a steady 80 f and at night ranges from high 60's to 70
  • Humidity - during the day they are around 50 to 60 i maintain this with the misting sessions at night its 70 or above havent seen it above 90
  • Plants - i have golden pothos and a bonsai money tree
  • Placement - top of a coffee table so top of cage is about 4 feet off of floor in the basement i think ambient room temp is 68 f and im about 4 feet away sitting at my desk so low traffic
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? colorado denver

Current Problem - opens mouth sometimes while basking and is always brown during the day and goes green at night
Day and night comparison sorry for low quality
20170911_184029.jpg 20170912_210054.jpg

Hey there!

A few things here:
The blue bulb can be removed. See night lights here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/lighting/

Green at night is fine. Consider them his PJs. Chams don't have the same control of their pigment as they do when they are awake, so they can be pretty stunning.

Do you notice any mucus? Do you notice anything around his nostrils? When he opens his mouth, does it look like he has some mucus like film?

Plus LOD? Confused by what this means. Been away for a while so new acronym. You need a vitamin supplement as well. Not daily mind you, but you need it.

What is his fecal stuff like? There is the normal brown part and then a white, chalky part called urate. Could you see if you can find any and take a picture? I understand you said you haven't seen any, but I would recommend hunting for some. Not seeing any for two days could be worrisome.

Is the soil exposed on either of the plants? I normally use large river rocks to cover the tops so that chams don't get any if for some reason a cricket finds their way there.

Never once used a dripper, so can't comment there.

Yay found some! never knew id be excited by that i see the urate is white but not much else. LOD is low vitamin D requirement this supplement is an all in one meant to be used at every feeding and he won't require anything else. and only once did i see mucus and he blew a bubble with it like what kids do but only once
20170913_060838.jpg

Yay found some! never knew id be excited by that i see the urate is white but not much else. LOD is low vitamin D requirement this supplement is an all in one meant to be used at every feeding and he won't require anything else. and only once did i see mucus and he blew a bubble with it like what kids do but only once
View attachment 190484

Sorry, but you're going to need to take him to a vet. That on its own sounds like an RI.

Also, calcium with low vitamin D is not all that they need. They need a vitamin dusting and they need vitamin without D3. Vitamin w/ D3 should be given very scarcely as too much will cause MBD, too little will cause MBD. There are threads upon threads upon threads regarding supplementation. Be ready to change everything.

What are you feeding the crickets, btw?

Back
Top Bottom