Worried about URI

Kamran_k

Established Member
So when I was cleaning his cage, Rango climbed out onto my hand so I just let him relax on my shoulder for a little bit and I heard a weird popping sound like a little hiss and then I heard a big pop/hiss when he opened his mouth. I freaked out because It was so loud, I've heard him hiss before when he is angry but his mouth wasn't opened all the way like when chameleons usually hiss. Never the less I made a vet appointment tomorrow. Which also worried me is that his humidity isn't too high yesterday it was in the 50s and today it's in the mid to low 60s.

Thank you for the article just read it. If the worst case scenario is true how would I administer the antibiotics? Are they injected or is there another way?

Cause I don't have stagnant water laying around at the bottom of his cage I have a drainage layer. So I am wondering if this is an infection where it'd come from.

Thank you for the article just read it. If the worst case scenario is true how would I administer the antibiotics? Are they injected or is there another way?

I can’t say for sure as I have never given those med but I believe most are oral meds. When I had to give Lennon meds I injected them into hornworms. Your vet will give you instructions on how they want you to do it.

Very true only reason I read that article was becaus I thought Imelda had one but it was just a defect in her airway that makes her hiss all the time

Hmm that’s interesting on its own. I’m only part way through the article but so far it’s great. I gotta add some bee pollen back into the mix lol.

Last edited:
Hmm that’s interesting on its own. I’m only part way through the article but so far it’s great. I gotta add some bee pollen back into the mix lol.
Yeah one of her many problems. They said she has an extra piece of skin that’s kinda making her airway narrow. I have to keep an eye on it because it can pose a problem eventually according to my vet

@kinyonga I have a Jacksons Chameleon and during the summer and earlier this month it was super hot I live in Southern California and we have been experiencing some odd weather this year so I used a Lower wattage bulb to keep his basking spot a little cooler. But if you guys think I should up the wattage ill buy a new light ASAP.

@kinyonga I have a Jacksons Chameleon and during the summer and earlier this month it was super hot I live in Southern California and we have been experiencing some odd weather this year so I used a Lower wattage bulb to keep his basking spot a little cooler. But if you guys think I should up the wattage ill buy a new light ASAP.
I think you should ask @JacksJill about the basking temperature then.

@Kamran_k Hopefully it is not an RI. The vet will be able to tell you if the medicine they give is injectable into a feeder. If not then here is a fantastic link for giving oral meds. http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2014/05/how-to-give-different-medicines.html

I have done both. When I gave Beman the meds orally I actually waited until he was chewing a worm. The dose was very small so while he was chewing I slid the syringe in the back of his mouth and aimed toward the back. That seemed to be just as easy for me a injecting a worm.

Good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom