Worried about my girl after laying eggs

You poor sweet lady, that Cham must be terrified. I so hope she pulls through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Your vet telling to to bring the Cham here to the US shows how little they know about chams. The required paperwork for you to bring a Cham into The US from Canada would be at the least a month to get and cost a small fortune.

SHE IS GOING TO MAKE IT!!!!!!

You poor sweet lady, that Cham must be terrified. I so hope she pulls through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Your vet telling to to bring the Cham here to the US shows how little they know about chams. The required paperwork for you to bring a Cham into The US from Canada would be at the least a month to get and cost a small fortune.

SHE IS GOING TO MAKE IT!!!!!!

You are right of course. The whole crossing the border thing never even occured to me at the time. I was so shocked that they couldn't operate, that the other piece didn't even register.

Send good thoughts our way. My little girl needs all the help she can get!!

Keeping you and your sweet girl in my thoughts and prayers. I don't know if this is an option now, she might be to weak but here in the states in the past my vets have had keepers that lived far away ship their chameleons to them for treatment. Maybe there's a reptile vet there that offers this service.

Last edited:
Thought I would update everyone on Karmie's condition. Sorry for dropping off the radar, but I had gallbladder surgery on Wednesday, so was a bit out of sorts.

My little lady spent all day Wednesday in her laying bin. I was so excited that she might get rid of those last few eggs, but no go. She is still in the same condition. She lays under her basking light with her eyes closed most of the time. I manage to get a few drops of bug juice in her every now and then, but that's it for fluids/food.

I have confirmed that the closest vet in Canada able to do this procedure is about a 12-15 hour drive away. As much as I love my girl, this just isn't a feasible option for me. I am rapidly leaning towards having her euthanized as she is obviously very sick and I don't want to see her suffer when it seems obvious she will not recover. :(

If anyone has any other "'last ditch" options, I am open to hearing them. This has been such a heart wrenching ordeal. Of my 3 chams, she is far and away the sweetest. But at this point, I just don't want her to suffer any more.

I am so sorry you both have to go through something that bad, I don't have any advice for you, but I'm sure you will make the right decision.

I am so very sad to hear that little Karmie has not passed the eggs. I sure hope you are doing ok after your surgery? I can't tell you what to do, it's your cham and a decision only you should make and do not let other people influence you. I will tell you what I would do if she were mine. I'd call that vet 15 hours away and beg them to allow me to overnight her and let them do the surgery or euthanized her, whatever the experienced reptile vets thinks is best. The very worst thing that could happen is that she pass away and the best thing would be a successful surgery and a healthy cham. I have read on here and had one of the lady from here cry and tell me about the botched euthanized that was performed on her beloved chameleon. How awful that would be. I would even be worried about the inexperienced vet euthanized mine.

All my best to you and your girl on whatever decision you make. I will continue to keep you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi Everyone. Just thought I'd let you all know that poor Karmie was euthanized on Saturday. She was so weak, she would barely open her eyes even when I touched her. Since the only vet able to perform surgery was a 12 hour drive or 1 hour flight away, I felt she was too weak to make the trip. My beautiful, sweet little girl was suffering too much, and it needed to end.

She was my only girl and at least compared to my two boys, girls are definitely sweeter and friendlier. I loved her dearly and am heartbroken to see her now empty enclosure. But I take comfort knowing she is no longer suffering.

Unfortunately, the eggs she laid seem to be infertile despite having being bred with my male. Of the 39, only 3 have yet to go moldy. I am hoping I might get at least one little baby of hers to keep as a "reminder" of my sweetie. RIP Karma (Karmie), you are dearly missed.

I am so sorry you lost her, my heart goes out to you. Try to take comfort knowing you did everything you could for Karmie, and she is not in any pain now. RIP Karmie

Last edited:
I'm so sorry for your loss. Know that you did everything you could for her and gave her one last gift to release her from pain. I hope that at least one of the eggs makes it!

Thanks for the condolences everyone. I miss her very much and have decided to use an image of her as my avatar. I've attached a larger version so you can see what a pretty girl she was. I still find myself glancing over to where she was in the room all the time still expecting to see her.:(
image.jpg

I'm so sorry. But, you did the best thing for her, and she didn't suffer at the end. Thank you for letting us know what happened, as I know we've all been thinking about you and your cham.
I haven't had mine for very long, but they work their way into your heart pretty quickly don't they?

I haven't had mine for very long, but they work their way into your heart pretty quickly don't they?

They sure do. Karmie was the one I had for the shortest amount of time, but I still loved her as much as the others. What I find most amazing is the personalities. I have to be honest, when I first got into chameleons, I figured they would all be very similar personality-wise, but my three have (had) VERY distinct personalities. Karmie was just a little sweetheart - just loved to sit on her branch and watch what was going on around her. But as soon as you headed towards her enclosure, she would come running towards the door with her front feet grabbing out at you. She couldn't wait to come out and get a treat! As for my "boys" my older guy is BIG in size, but a big chicken when it comes down to it. And my 1 year old is a real cranky face. Puffs up and hisses at you when you put your hand in his enclosure - even with a treat! Of course, it's all just for show, but it's quite a show :)

I certainly miss Karmie. I didn't have her long, but she worked her way into my heart nonetheless!

Karmie was a beautiful little lady. IMO veileds have the best personality of all. Again I am very sorry that you lost her.

I am very sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and all who cared for your Lil girl. its the hardest part of owning a pet. :(

Back
Top Bottom