Worried about Monty

pigglett79

Avid Member
Well, we are getting very worried about our adopted boy Monty. He was treated several weeks ago for Giardia and tolerated treatment well. He has not had a follow up fecal done yet. He did have blood work and x rays done, nothing significant was found. He did have a slightly elevated uric acid, but we felt that could be due to previous owner feeding feeders dog food. His x rays looked fine.

for a a while he had been holding his right eye closed. We tried some antibiotic drops and he seemed to be better briefly, but is now holding it closed all the time again. He is also not moving around much, but is still eating the same amount as usual.

This morning he wasn’t moving around at all and seemed to be sleeping in. After touching him he really didn’t move, but did start to fire up a little. He does have slight bags under both of his eyes (he has had them since before we got him) so I guess it possible there is debris in there. I am going to try the drops again and flush the eye as well as try a nice long shower.

I am just at a loss and wish there was something that stuck out as the issue.

The previous owner stated a vet told her his eye issue was vit A deficiency, but didnt run any tests to confirm. I believe this was many months ago and he gave a vit A shot. So his eye issue has been going on for some time. I have given him a little vit A using the repashy vit A powder, but it doesnt seem to help at all.

Here are a couple pics from a few weeks ago. He seems to be holding it in tighter now and isnt as active.

Montyeye1.jpg

Montyeye2.jpg

I hope everything goes well with Monty :( It would be sad to hear if something went wrong. I hope you can get him treated

That is awful, not knowing is the worst feeling. Just do what you are doing, I can't see anything you can change without another vet visit. I truly don't see what a vet could do except look at the eye. Good luck Rachelle, I will keep my fingers crossed.

Did your vet check inside his turret? From those photos, it looks like he may have something under the lid irritating both eyes. Does he rub them? I'm sure you've considered all this - Just a thought.

I am sure hoping the best for Monty, I know you will give him the very best care.....hope we hear a better report soon!

Prayers for you and Monty. I know how much you love your guys and give them the best care possible. It might be time for that follow up vet visit.

Well, we are getting very worried about our adopted boy Monty. He was treated several weeks ago for Giardia and tolerated treatment well. He has not had a follow up fecal done yet. He did have blood work and x rays done, nothing significant was found. He did have a slightly elevated uric acid, but we felt that could be due to previous owner feeding feeders dog food. His x rays looked fine.

for a a while he had been holding his right eye closed. We tried some antibiotic drops and he seemed to be better briefly, but is now holding it closed all the time again. He is also not moving around much, but is still eating the same amount as usual.

This morning he wasn’t moving around at all and seemed to be sleeping in. After touching him he really didn’t move, but did start to fire up a little. He does have slight bags under both of his eyes (he has had them since before we got him) so I guess it possible there is debris in there. I am going to try the drops again and flush the eye as well as try a nice long shower.

I am just at a loss and wish there was something that stuck out as the issue.

The previous owner stated a vet told her his eye issue was vit A deficiency, but didnt run any tests to confirm. I believe this was many months ago and he gave a vit A shot. So his eye issue has been going on for some time. I have given him a little vit A using the repashy vit A powder, but it doesnt seem to help at all.

Here are a couple pics from a few weeks ago. He seems to be holding it in tighter now and isnt as active.

Montyeye1.jpg

Montyeye2.jpg

Its possible his irritated eye depresses him and affects how active he chooses to be. I also think we tend to forget that injured eyes can be left with scarring or long term damage even if we do treat obvious problems. The reason I say this is that I had a wc verrucosus with one eye that seemed to bother him on and off as he got older. There never was a very obvious infection that we could find, no swelling, bags, active discharge, his humidity situation was fine, but when the vet examined it he commented there was increased vascularization and a rough cornea that suggested an earlier injury. He could see out of it but probably not too well. It was sort of a chronic issue for him especially as he aged. I kept him comfortable with a very mild anti inflammatory eye drop and saline flushes if it seemed to be flaring up.

Not much help I know. Just a different way to approach it. I would think if he had a deficiency both eyes would be affected, not one.

Thanks everyone.

He does not rub his eyes at all. The vet did look in the eyes briefly and didn't note anything. I have looked and both eye look the same to me. I am hesitant to have the vet probe in to his eye further because she is not experienced with chameleons and I am worried about more damage being caused. Tomorrow I am home all day so I will try to flush his eye and give him a shower. I tried showers with George and he hated them and didn't drink or anything, just tried getting out. But maybe monty will do OK.

I will do all I can and if it doesnt get any better I may go back to the vet and hope she can see something, but last time she couldnt find anything wrong.

The vet did look in the eyes briefly and didn't note anything. I have looked and both eye look the same to me.

What I meant was inspecting his eye with a opthalmo (don't know the correct term sorry, but a lighted scope your own md would use) scope, not just looking at it generally. You wouldn't be able to see vessels or scarring with your plain eye.

So hard to say, as you know he came to you with problems that could have caused some earlier damage you wouldn't know about. He's such a pretty guy I hope he feels better soon!

Back
Top Bottom