Worms?

Grasshopper

What type of worms (other than horn) are best for your cham? I have to order them because no one around me sells anything but mealworms and horn worms. I read not to do meal worms. So wanting to order some silk, or butter, or something like that. Any suggestions?

And if you order where? I want a reliable site. Last time I ordered horn worms there was only 3 out of 20 alive.

Silkworms are great just hard to find right now. BSFL is good to. Butter worms can cause an allergic reaction. There are wax worms but I’ve never given them to my Chams only because I use horn worms.

I order my silks eggs from mulberry farms. Rainbow mealworms it good to I ordered all my worms from there and none came dead but I pick them up at the post office to make sure they arrive alive. Rainbow actually has a sample pack that comes with a variety of bugs

@Spyro88 has silkworms. You can order them from him just shoot him a private message. I order pretty much everything else from rainbowmealworms.com. I order their phoenix worms which are Black soldier fly larvae. They have super worms but they are really large for a smaller cham. I get my dubia from them as well. They have hornworms also but what I keep finding is that they get much to large to quickly to have a full pod of them.

Silkworms, hornworms, and Superworms are all healthy for our chams. Wax worms superworms and hornworms are all considered "treats". I personally will not ever feed my cham a waxworm do to their lack of nutrients and they can become addicting for reptiles.
I get my hornworms and Superworms from rainbowmealworms.com

For worms, silkies and bsfl are by far the best. Both are high in calcium, and—unusual for feeders—bsfl have a ca:p ratio of 1.5 to 1, which is perfect! Supers are ok, but there’s something about them as a staple that just doesn’t jive with me. Personally, a diet that consists of dubias and crickets as staples, silkies and bsfl almost as regularly, horns and supers a couple times a week, and the occasional junk food (waxies/butters) is a solid starting place.

As to where to get this stuff, I can’t help, as I’m in Canada, and things are different here. I’m sure you’ll get a million suggestions here though.

Omg! My spell check always changes the colon and the p in ‘calcium phosphorus ratio’ to a smiley face. Please read ‘ca emoji’ as ‘calcium phosphorus ratio’

Thanks guys. Now my next questing is how can I feed them to him? Hes scared and skittish, when he sees me he hides or my hand he runs. I have a home made feeder bowl but he doesn't go for the crickets in it. He will climb it to get the ones that escape and go to the top of the cage. So what's the best way for worms?

Have you tried a feeder run cup? I have one girl who looks at me with incrdulity when I offer her a cup of bugs. It’s as if she’s saying, “a cup? That’s a human thing! I’m a Cham not a dirty human; you shove that cup!” But since I built her her feeder run cup, she’s been tagging everything; and, sadly, has no use for me whatsoever.

Thanks guys. Now my next questing is how can I feed them to him? Hes scared and skittish, when he sees me he hides or my hand he runs. I have a home made feeder bowl but he doesn't go for the crickets in it. He will climb it to get the ones that escape and go to the top of the cage. So what's the best way for worms?
I put his hornworms on a branch. Supers are trickier/faster but most people free range them. My guy tong feeds them though.

Have you tried a feeder run cup? I have one girl who looks at me with incrdulity when I offer her a cup of bugs. It’s as if she’s saying, “a cup? That’s a human thing! I’m a Cham not a dirty human; you shove that cup!” But since I built her her feeder run cup, she’s been tagging everything; and, sadly, has no use for me whatsoever.
Do you have a picture for an idea?

Here's mine.

Attachments

• 20190405_151840.jpg
    20190405_151840.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 86
I put his hornworms on a branch. Supers are trickier/faster but most people free range them. My guy tong feeds them though.
I was thinking about letting them lose but if I go near him with anything he runs. I did get him to get a couple crickets off the egg carton while holding it once

@Spyro88 has silkworms. You can order them from him just shoot him a private message. I order pretty much everything else from rainbowmealworms.com. I order their phoenix worms which are Black soldier fly larvae. They have super worms but they are really large for a smaller cham. I get my dubia from them as well. They have hornworms also but what I keep finding is that they get much to large to quickly to have a full pod of them.
You can order smaller super worms too

Try this:

I see a lot of people using abs pipe cut lengthwise too. Pics of one of mine below. Obviously, as this one is for a huge greenhouse, the size will have to be scaled down, but the idea is a container where your bugs can crawl vertically, but with no chance of escape.

Attachments

• 8297894F-A446-49F1-A661-5D86CCD78BCC.jpeg
    8297894F-A446-49F1-A661-5D86CCD78BCC.jpeg
    374.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 575064A6-4DB4-4066-B139-8C5929AA99B1.jpeg
    575064A6-4DB4-4066-B139-8C5929AA99B1.jpeg
    343.5 KB · Views: 86
  • 5E206CBD-7CC9-4B69-A741-BF2257E0F35A.jpeg
    5E206CBD-7CC9-4B69-A741-BF2257E0F35A.jpeg
    602 KB · Views: 61
  • ABCC2018-4C21-4EBA-8458-AFA3C0AF5F77.jpeg
    ABCC2018-4C21-4EBA-8458-AFA3C0AF5F77.jpeg
    426.5 KB · Views: 110
Oh fudge! I think I did a no no. After ‘try this’ there was a YouTube link. Guess that’s against the rules...?

Oh fudge! I think I did a no no. After ‘try this’ there was a YouTube link. Guess that’s against the rules...?
I'm not sure if it is or not. But it was very helpful I see what I have done wrong with mine. The crickets go to the top and just stay there. The jug they dont have that option because it's all open. Thank you so much Kaizen.

I got silkworms from spyro too.

Rainbow mealworms is my go to as well. You can specify small or even “micro” superworms on the site. Micros are small... like 2-3 month old cham small. I also specify that I want small hornworms, and then i keep them in the basement. They last well for me!

I won’t use butter worms. Too many stories of reactions and I don’t like that they are radiated.

Phoenix worms rock! One of my guys favorites. I also made a little hatching cup so they turn into flies.

Back
Top Bottom