Worms vs Crickets

Hello,

I have been looking into getting my first Chameleon, and after doing some research I have found people saying worms (silk, wax and horned) are better for chameleons but have not seen much on portions. From my understanding a baby (panther) should be eating about 8-10 small crickets daily, and an adult about 6-8 medium-large every other day.

So what would be the amount of worms proportionate to these numbers if they are indeed correct.

Lastly I know horn worms should be more of a treat but could silk and/or wax be daily feeders?

Quite contrarily, wax worms need to be the treat due to a very high fat content. I feed mine silks often and proportion to the AMOUNT(not number) of crix depending on their size. Hornworms can also be somewhat of a staple and very good for hydration... Plus they love them! Mine can't get enough when I have them!

Worms are great, but they could spoil your chameleon.

I have recently been giving my Dwarf Fishers some medium Superworms because the shop I get crickets from was out of medium size cricks. What he gave me instead was about 130 very small cricks, anywhere from 1/8" to just over 1/4". Since they were so small I was adding either 1-2 Supers or 1-2 Waxworms. I also got some Butterworms to try. I realize the Wax and Butters are very high fat, so I decided to cut back. I don't know a lot about the Superworms nutritional values yet, but I understand they are okay as daily feeders. Anyway, I have seen some articles and posts about "Food Strikes" from chams who one day decide they are going to quit eating their crickets and hold out for worms only. I'm at that point right now. My little girl has turned her nose up at the crickets, which have grown to 1/4" to about 1/2" now. I understand that the danger here is the cricks ganging up on the cham and inflicting bites during the night. I have started using a deep cup for feeding now so I can keep an eye on the crickets and can see that she is eating them. They could easily jump out, but apparently they don't realize that, and they can not crawl out of the cup. She has not eaten yesterday or today. I don't know how long to hold out before she wins and ends up getting some worms. The worms are getting big or turning into beetles soon, and I don't want to feed her food that is too big. So I am kind of warning the question asker and at the same time asking for advice on the food strike. Thanks for any help.

Super worm nutrition is better, but you have to be extremely careful and sure they are dead on the first bite or they could literally eat its way out of your chams stomach. I've seen them turn their nose to crix after a spoiled feast as well, but truth be told once they're hungry enough they'll give up the princess act

Super worm nutrition is better, but you have to be extremely careful and sure they are dead on the first bite or they could literally eat its way out of your chams stomach. I've seen them turn their nose to crix after a spoiled feast as well, but truth be told once they're hungry enough they'll give up the princess act

That is false information. It's a myth, super worms do not chew through stomachs. Even if the worm was still alive, the stomach acid would kill it, and their jaws are nowhere near strong enough to do that.

Back
Top Bottom