Worm shipment in cold temps?

Jam

Hey Guys!

Quick question for people who have hopefully done this (either on the shipment or receiving end). I live in MI where it is FREAKING cold (we are barely getting into the 20s most days ... but that's an improvement since for a period we werent getting above 0 without the windchill! anywho) but I would like to get Hermie some silkie and/or tomato worms. No one sells them locally (that I know of) I know that some companies ship with heatpacks but didn't know if they worked for temps this low? I could get the shipment delivered to work so that it wouldn't have to sit outside in the cold until I got home in the evening.

Thanks!
Jamie and Hermie

Dave

Maybe Dave from Georgia Bugs can provide some insight on this topic for you. He sells Hornworms and silkies and provides heat packs. PM him!

I live in Marquette where it is below zero quite often, all of my worms come cold:) Ive never had a problem. But i do always get the heat pack added, it is cold when it gets here. So, I don't know if it really does anything, might just be a waste of money.:confused:

Hey Guys!

Quick question for people who have hopefully done this (either on the shipment or receiving end). I live in MI where it is FREAKING cold (we are barely getting into the 20s most days ... but that's an improvement since for a period we werent getting above 0 without the windchill! anywho) but I would like to get Hermie some silkie and/or tomato worms. No one sells them locally (that I know of) I know that some companies ship with heatpacks but didn't know if they worked for temps this low? I could get the shipment delivered to work so that it wouldn't have to sit outside in the cold until I got home in the evening.

Thanks!
Jamie and Hermie

I just order 4 cups of hornworms from Great Lakes Hornworms which are located in Michigan. The owner let me know that is was very cold there but shipped the hornworms with heat pads inside the box and everything was great no dead hornworms on arrival. As who ever you buy from to put heat packs inside they last about 24 hours in the box and keep them warm. 99% of place charge $2 per heat pad though. GLH didn't charge me for them.

HAd some silkworms shipped a year or so ago when it was ear freezing. Stupid mailman (woman, actually, but if I had said mailwoman it would have appeared that I was emphasising that fact - but I'm not). Had a habit of leaving all packages on the top of the mailbox, which was in fact at the top of the driveway, 300 feet up from the house.

They sat there for hours in the cold. All were fine. I think it's got more to do with duration than anything. A quick chill will probably not harm them.

You've got to be careful about how cold you ship worms. Any colder than 20 degrees is really even too cold for a heat pack, even two. Once the temperature surrounding a heatpack drops below 32 degrees Farenheit, the heatpack ceases to function, so keep that in mind :)

-Dave

Not to butt in on all this good info, I just recieved some Via. P.O box mail service and promise you the Government post office (P.O Boxes) are kept warm. Anyhow I live in temps possibly colder than Michigan here in the Colorado Rockies! Yea Ski Country, My worms are here now and being fed to the Chams.

Back
Top Bottom