Woodlice

I'm wondering if it's OK to have woodlice in the vivarium, either as custodians or as an occasional snack (the smaller ones)

I'm talking about regular common or garden woodlice as opposed to tropical woodlice, as I have a plentiful supply.

Attachments

• woodlouse-01.jpg
    woodlouse-01.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 331
They are fine as long as they are not wild caught. Terrestrial isopods are heavy metal bioaccumulators as so you wouldn't want your chameleons eating them. If you have some that were bred in captivity or purchased as feeders they would be great. They make a good clean up crew and also a nice high calcium snack. I breed them for my animals to eat as part of my feeder rotation.

They are fine as long as they are not wild caught. Terrestrial isopods are heavy metal bioaccumulators as so you wouldn't want your chameleons eating them. If you have some that were bred in captivity or purchased as feeders they would be great. They make a good clean up crew and also a nice high calcium snack. I breed them for my animals to eat as part of my feeder rotation.

Thanks, these ones live in my garden and compost heap, so I guess they won't be appropriate.

Many thanks.

So do you think if I find a pregnant woodlouse the babies will be OK re: heavy metal or should I wait a further generation.

The woodlice are from my compost heap which is mostly organic, we don't use weedkiller or fertiliser so maybe they would be OK anyway do you think?

Thanks

I have also used woodlice, both European native type & white tropical woodlice.
Also use newly hatched Dubia roach nymph's for my adult pygmies. I have a very small R. uluguruensis, that i have watched taking springtails & fruit flies.
I have found anything that flies, to be particularly attractive to pygmies & any chams i have kept in the past come to think of it. Spiders too are readily taken.

Back
Top Bottom