Won't open one eye?

KAM3LiiON

Today I misted my little cham and I noticed his eye go agitated so I stopped immediately. He blinked a whole lot and now he wont open that eye. I took him out to get a look and he opened it, but once I put him back he closes it! any ideas?

My chams will close their eyes the second they see a misting bottle!
It could be that he just thinks you are going to mist again.
But of course without seeing in person all I have said is an educated guess. Does it look irritated?

It looks fine and he will move it around while closed, but when he gets irritated that he cant see it seems like he'll open it for a little while and then close it again.

Has he shed recently? Could he have a piece of shed n his eye? What wattage of bulbs are you using? Sometimes if your Cham is young and the wattage too high, it can cause eye problems. It could also be the start of a medical problem. Chams will start to close their eyes when they are unwell. I would check these things, if no shed or wattage of bulbs are okay then keep an eye that the other eye doesn't start closing. Otherwise I'd advise a vet visit!

He is sitting under a 40 watt house bulb and a reptisun 5.0. He has not shed any time recently. He opened his eye when I took him out and took a pic and it looks infection free, but When I put him back in he keeps it open for a little bit then shuts it. It is only one eye, and happened just yesterday after I misted him not even 24 hours ago. He seems fine and eating well. I switched out his deep dome for a mini deep dome and changed his basking spot to see if this helps.

Attachments

• 20130830_155714.jpg
    20130830_155714.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 557
  • 20130830_162712.jpg
    20130830_162712.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 702
Sounds to me like he just got some water in his eye whilst misting. He will move his eye around whilst the lid is closed, to get rid of the water. The fact that he is opening it when out the cage, then closing it when in the cage is more than likely just the association of the cage and water being sprayed into his eye.

Keep an eye on it (no pun intended), and if it doesn't seem irritated etc, then I wouldn't worry. My chameleon almost always closes his eyes during misting. Just be sure to put it on a light mist and don't spray directly into his face

Still wont open eye 8/

I have gotten a nice up close pic of his eye! It happened the other day when I was misting him! idk what happened he just wont open his eye now! he keeps rolling it and bulging it but he wont open it! it doesnt look infected! idk if he poked it or what!! 8(

Attachments

• 20130831_195730.jpg
    20130831_195730.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 531
Hey I think I can help, I just had the same prob it was like that for weeks and weeks and I fixed it, do u have light right next to the cage that he goes under of so move it farther back, my Cham was getting to close to the bulb when he basked and it was dryin out the eye, that's why he's trying to clean it alot but there's no water there to clean it, move the light or the basking spot farther back so he can't get that close and within a day it should go back to normal slowly ! Hope
This helps it worked for my Cham

I only get about a weeks worth of crickets at a time to hold in my cricket feeder where the munch on fluckers dry calcium dust then he gets d3 twice a month and multi vitamins twice a month and calcium without d3 every day. He is under a normal 40 watt bulb and repti sun 5.0.

what brand of supplements?

I highly recommend you improve your gutloading. The flukers stuff is crap.

what do you offer besides crickets?

its possible the eye issue is nutritional

a vet visit to look in the eye could help narrow down the issue

So today I gave him a 30 min shower and he kept his eye open for a couple hours then closed it again! Whenever I mist him he opens it for a bit so im thinking its a hydration issue...

My panther has been doing the same thing but almost all the time not after i mist him. Did you get any good answers?

I'm actually having the same issue now with my panther! He's been with my mom because I was in a situation where I couldn't keep him, but now I have him back. I'm afraid it's nutritional so I've changed everything about his cage and now I'm getting him back on the right supplement routine because my mom said she just started guessing. Any ideas how long an issue like this could take to clear up? and I really hope your chameleon improves as well!

Back
Top Bottom