Won't open one eye?

Frustrating that there don’t seem to be any good answers/responses to this. I’m having the same problem, but have only found countless threads of people asking for help/advice and nothing but snobby requests to fill out questionnaires and otherwise directionless answers if the questionnaire has been completed.

Perhaps in bumping this, someone can help point me and presumably others in the right direction?

We ask you to answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread so we have information to help you figure out why your chameleon has the problems we are being told the chameleon has. Without information how can anyone help you??? It's not usually asked in a snobby way ...just simply requested. We answer a ton of posts every day out of our concern for the welfare of chameleons...and we do it for free and we all have lives of our own that keep us busy too so we don't want to take the time to play 50 questions. (Although I can't count how many times I've had to do that...and explain the same thing several different ways because people just aren't getting it.
Most if us are not vets so the help we give comes from our experiences and from what we have read and learned from others. We don't have all the answers but we do the best we can to!help people and their chameleons. Eye issues are a particularly difficult thing to figure out because there are many reasons for them happening and many of the issues require vet tests or treatment. Sorry that all you can do is knock us for the effort we put into this instead of appreciating the thankless job that it usually is for those if us who do the best we can to help.

I’m just saying... I’ve seen lots of requests for help but not much given, even if they provide the requested info.

I know a vet is a more definitive answer, but also see that this is a fairly common issue and there are experienced owners here - yet, finding answers is quite the Easter egg hunt!

If anything, don’t mistake my post for knocking you, as it’s actually a vocalization of frustration in scouring threads and not finding any Easter eggs. ;)

I just want to get my little guy better and know I’m hardly the first to have the issue in the OP, as there are many threads on this same issue.

As I said...Eye issues are a particularly difficult thing to figure out because there are many reasons for them happening and many of the issues require vet tests or treatment.

In your other thread...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/cage-setup.160441/
I notice that your cage is by the window. If the chameleon gets a cold draft from the window it could lead to problems and possibly an eye issue.

Btw...some types of coleus can cause edema of the eyes and skin irritations.

As I said...Eye issues are a particularly difficult thing to figure out because there are many reasons for them happening and many of the issues require vet tests or treatment.

In your other thread...
I notice that your cage is by the window. If the chameleon gets a cold draft from the window it could lead to problems and possibly an eye issue.

Thanks Kinyonga, I really appreciate it.

The window’s fortunately a solid vinyl set and draft-free.
He hasn’t ventured down from the top/canopy either, so I wouldn’t think the coleus is an issue (no signs of the plant being messed with either).

I gave him water via a pipette tonight (I have a monsoon setup running on 12 hour at 30 seconds every 2 hours) and am thinking of clearing out the crickets in his cage and replacing with new ones - considering putting him in an acrylic (open top) tank for a bit this weekend, with crickets in hopes that he will eat like a glutton.

I keep my crickets in a holding cage with various fruit/veg to keep them gut loaded and usually give them a dusting atop as I can’t tell how often he eats - so I want what he does eat to be nutrient-rich. Though, perhaps it could be too many nutrients if I frequently dust?

Appreciate the tip on edema, definitely something I’m going to research further.

I’ve seen him staring at the crickets, only inches away, yet never lashing his tongue out. He just keeps his mouth closed and moves his tongue around as if he’s clearing his throat. The closed eye really just started last night.

In your other thread...

Thanks Kinyonga, I appreciate it.

The window’s fortunately a solid vinyl set and draft-free.
He hasn’t ventured down from the top/canopy either, so I wouldn’t think the coleus is an issue (no signs of the plant being messed with either).

I gave him water via a pipette tonight and am thinking of clearing out the crickets in his cage and replacing with new ones - considering putting him in an acrylic (open top) tank for a bit this weekend, with crickets in hopes that he will eat like a glutton.

I keep my crickets in a holding cage with various fruit/veg to keep them gut loaded and usually give them a dusting atop as I can’t tell how often he eats - so I want what he does eat to be nutrient-rich.

Though, perhaps it could be too many nutrients?

Welcome to the forum!

Quoting myself from above...
"We ask you to answer the questions in the how to ask for help thread so we have information to help you figure out why your chameleon has the problems we are being told the chameleon has. Without information how can anyone help you???"

Back
Top Bottom