Won't eat anything but crickets..

lau217

So my 3-4 month old male veiled chameleon won't eat anything but crickets. I've tried to put worms on a tray (mealworms and waxworms) and also chopped up apple pieces but they don't interest him at all. I think it's because they don't move and he likes to hunt..

I've read that you should give chams a variety of feeds so I'm a little worried. Will he warm up to things that don't move? What other feeders can I try? I have a little phobia of roaches so I don't really want to try that.. lol

you can try hornworms, silkworms, Blue bottle flies, mantis, stick bugs, butterworms, pheonix worms. there are plenty of options.

It took my guy a little while to warm up to silkworms but if you keep offering them to your guy he will eventually go for them. especially if he is hungry enough.

I have a panther that is the same way.. Only that all he will take is supers :( I drove 2 hour to a reptile show so I could pick up a variety of feeders to try, silks, butter worms, roaches, Phoenix worms and a few horn worms.
He flares up and gapes at the sight of any of them :( I've offered all of them at different times and no luck. But this morning I decided to take a chance lol so when I offered a silk worm he immediately puffed up and as soon as his mouth opened I popped it in lol he chomped it real quick just once then dropped it and continued to stare at it.. Then after about 5 seconds he zapped it with his tongue and down the hatch it went! He now loves them lol

I had the same problem with my veiled Cham Girl. She would only eat crickets I tried Wax and mealworms to no avail. I skipped a day of feeding and put out super (man) worms mixed with wax worms and she loves the the super worms! Just use a deep dish as they will crawl out and fly off ;)

Thanks y'all!! I'm going to try the superworms. I looked at them at the store today and they were wiggling around like crazy so I think he will love them. I just have to find some that are small enough for him!

Hang the worms on the screen so they crawl up toward the cham.

Great lakes Hornworm has smaller Supers. Keep them in oats, they eat them. You can add sliced vegetables on the oats for hydration, or water crystals.:D

Nick

Skip out on the waxworms, they are not healthy for your Cham.
Reptiworms/Phoenix worms wiggle around a lot, when your Cham notices them they will be eaten.. Try holding the cup under her in her line of sight

Skip feeding him one day, then try the new food then. Like children, sometimes they'll only try new food when they're forced too. Once he tastes it and realizes it actually taste o.k, he'll be more likely to go for it routinely.

Hi, dont worry to much at all. Crickets are a decent feeder that can be gut loaded very well. Variety is best BUT thank god he is not on a worm binge. ;)

While he is on crickets be sure to feed them a variety of food. Never the same thing week after week. This is key...

Back
Top Bottom