Won't drink

RicoTheChem

My juvenile veiled wont drink from his leaves. how can i get him to drink. he is starting to show signs of dehydration.

Use a dripper system, if that doesn't work, try forcefully giving him a little water. f you aren't comfortable with giving him water forcefully take him to a vet

How long has he been in your care?

If your are misting his cage thoroughly and he is showing no interest in drinking, there either has to be something off with your husbandry or his health.

Have you had a fecal done lately?

Can you post a pic of his enclosure?

How long has he been in your care?

If your are misting his cage thoroughly and he is showing no interest in drinking, there either has to be something off with your husbandry or his health.

Have you had a fecal done lately?

Can you post a pic of his enclosure?

Here it is he did yester day and it is currently 70.1 degrees in my room. I mist every inch and do every 4-5 hours. the cage is 16by16by30 and i give him a mix of reptivite and repticalcium. hes been in my care for about a month 001.JPG

Get a plastic cup or water bottle or anything you have that you can put little holes in and put water in then put it on the top of the cage. Check the water flow before hand so it's not just dumping right in. He made need more stimulation with moving water to recognize drinking.

Yes, as stated you need much more foilage in there. Also, there does not look like any branches or vines that are very supportive under your basking light. I would suspend one horizontally about 8 inches down or so under the light. You can suspend the branch by using push pins on the outside of the cage. Insert the pin into the branch through the screen. Either buy a dripper or make one as suggested and let the dripper drip like every second onto a branch where it splashes. I would like to see a picture of him. You said he is showing signs of dehydration? how?...is he eating? If so, what? They can get moisture from plants and insects and sometimes they just don't need to drink. I know for a fact that my chameleons do not always drink everyday and they survive! People freak out too much over a chameleon not drinking everyday. As far as the misting, how long are you misting for? It can take SEVERAL minutes for them to be stimulated to drink. I drip water on my chameleon's noses through the screen and sometimes it takes that long to get them to start licking the water.

I have a mister that goes off for four minutes 4 times a day. My panther took about two minutes to start drinking but my jackson took about three minutes and would continue to drink all the way up to the four minute mark.

Agreed with the comments above. You really need to pack his enclosure with plants. Live plants preferably. More surface area equals more water droplets giving him more opportunities for drinking.

Also, horizontal branches in the enclosure is a must. Not only for getting under the basking area like Carol5208 stated, but also to thermoregulate properly throughout the enclosure. I like to put a horizontal perch every 4-5 inches in my enclosure....sometimes more.

Can we see a pick of him up close. Chameleons that are thirsty will drink. I have worked with many WC imports and their reaction to water is almost sad. That's why it makes me wonder if your cham is not drinking, or just not drinking in front of you. Regardless, a pic would be helpful to see how he is looking.

Agreed with the comments above. You really need to pack his enclosure with plants. Live plants preferably. More surface area equals more water droplets giving him more opportunities for drinking.

Also, horizontal branches in the enclosure is a must. Not only for getting under the basking area like Carol5208 stated, but also to thermoregulate properly throughout the enclosure. I like to put a horizontal perch every 4-5 inches in my enclosure....sometimes more.

Can we see a pick of him up close. Chameleons that are thirsty will drink. I have worked with many WC imports and their reaction to water is almost sad. That's why it makes me wonder if your cham is not drinking, or just not drinking in front of you. Regardless, a pic would be helpful to see how he is looking.

The only thing is is that its still near winter and almost all main stores that sell plants have none at all. We checked walmart, lowes, home depot, and even k mart,none. And im working on getting more branches its just that we dont live near town so goind and getting decorations from petco take a good 30 minutes. And also the price. Being 14 my mom thinks that he doesnt need all that and its hard to argue with her that he does. Ill see what i can do. He kind of got mad at me holding a phone up to him but here he is 002.JPG

I understand.

I would get branches from outside if you can. I like to get mine directly off the tree. I use a lot of apple wood and oak. Picking them up off the ground is not a good idea due to the wood usually being inhabited by insects.

His eyes do look a little sunken in. I would just try the methods that are listed above. Spring plants should be moving in to the stores relatively soon!

Have his urates been white?

I understand.

I would get branches from outside if you can. I like to get mine directly off the tree. I use a lot of apple wood and oak. Picking them up off the ground is not a good idea due to the wood usually being inhabited by insects.

His eyes do look a little sunken in. I would just try the methods that are listed above. Spring plants should be moving in to the stores relatively soon!

Have his urates been white?

If you mean the little white peices that come with the feces then yes. I was just thinking about going outside and geting some.

When the urates in the chameleon are white, it usually means that he/she is fully hydrated. What signs made u think he was dehydrated? It could be something different or even more serious

When the urates in the chameleon are white, it usually means that he/she is fully hydrated. What signs made u think he was dehydrated? It could be something different or even more serious

his eyes looked sunken in but i made a homade one just now with a fake leaf and a water bottle

Guy at petshop said get plastic red cup, poke a pin hole, fill with ice, put on top of cage. Have it drop on one of the plastic plants.

Back
Top Bottom