Wondering how many women are chameleon caretakers

Me! and my aunt is getting to like it too but I am soooo overprotective with my little Rango that im fighting constantly with her cuz she gave him crickets on afternoon or take him outside without supervision and I get so angry desperate and nervous about him getting hurt or sick. Lol

I'm a "newbie" cham's keeper and I really LOVE this new hobby and my new baby pet :D

Yes of course they are for everybody who has a passion for chameleons. I just wondered if girls are more drawn to chameleons over any other reptile.

hmm honestly my chameleon to me is like a delicate project, I enjoy tending to his needs in order to help him thrive, but I find a big lack of emotional connection between me and my cham.
I love him, and would do anything needed to make sure he is at optimal health.
BUT, I feel way more 'emotionally connected' to my bearded dragon, and then even more so to my 3 cats.
maybe that sounds weird to some people I donno. I understand that all this is probably because it's easier to humanize some pets rather than others, but I can't help but feel like something in them loves me back.

I hope that doesn't offend anyone! I do love Mr. Peabody :D

Me! and my aunt is getting to like it too but I am soooo overprotective with my little Rango that im fighting constantly with her cuz she gave him crickets on afternoon or take him outside without supervision and I get so angry desperate and nervous about him getting hurt or sick. Lol

I'm a "newbie" cham's keeper and I really LOVE this new hobby and my new baby pet :D

You might want to resize your picture. That thing is huge!

It warms my heart when my cham comes to me. I just want ot give hime a kiss, but I guess thats not good for either of us.:eek:

im a mum of 4 and we have 3 chams but i look after them and they are mine really lol and they tend to come to me i like it this way. i do like reptiles but have a major snake fear i have tried to get past but cant lol xx

Cham Mommies?

I am interested in the number of women who are into chameleon husbandry. I got into this for my son and again for my daughter. And it is now my own passion. I don't want any other reptile. The chameleon exotic nature, character and of course colorful beauty is a woman's kinda reptile. What do you girls think?
I found myself interested in these guys while researching lizards for a gift for my grand kids after my daughter said they could have one..I vaguely remember walking through a pets store in the past and seeing a Nosy Be, but other than the striking color, never gave these another thought.. didn't even know what it was in retrospect..
As it turned out, my daughter vetoed allowing me to give them a pet ( I had decided that Chams would be too complicated anyway) but found myself drawn to them. A few people know I have them, but basically I am a little hesitant to be known as a crazy lizard lady. However I find myself tromping in the woods for old gnarly vines and bamboo to decorate their cages. But then again I am far from the average Granny as some may already know.
I'd been a dog show participant and breeder for over 30 years, but aged out of it..no more running around a ring for me.
I was a color breeder in Shar-Pei (shar-pei.com) and I understand genetics pretty well. I love the color on the Chams and plan to restrict my group to the Translucent Veiled's and Panthers. The nice thing about these guys, is that they do not bark, bite or have to be exercised or pottied..in all they make great pets!!
The only thing I wish I could change is their need for live bugs, i.e. crickets. My place sounds like Mid Summers Night Cricket Cacophony year round and I have become immuned to a few loose crickets sharing space with me.
I wish I could find other Cham enthusiasts nearby..male or female..it would be awesome to share information.

In my experience, it seems like most women just don't have the desire to invest the large amounts of time and money to own a Cham or really have any type hobby that requires lots of time and money. I thinks it's a case of "boys and their toys", with exotic pets being one of them.

gotta love unfounded generalizations!

In my experience, it seems like most women just don't have the desire to invest the large amounts of time and money to own a Cham or really have any type hobby that requires lots of time and money. I thinks it's a case of "boys and their toys", with exotic pets being one of them.

I guess you don't know me.

gotta love unfounded generalizations!

I guess you don't know me.

LOL Or me! I have thousands invested into my various hobbies, with chameleons being just one of them. The amount of money I've put into photography equipment, digital art equipment, my tool collection, and anything else you'd consider a hobby is beyond what most of my male friends have invested in theirs.

With the exception of my racing friend... I can't top the investment in a race car, a two car trailer, and all that goes into that. But only he has me beat.

I’m going to speak in more general terms, but it’s funny that people seem to think that reptile keeping is a male dominated hobby. I got into herps hardcore 25-30 years ago (Eep!) back in a time where we went to the library to research our pets and where we went to actual reptile club meetings with real people. Some of my earliest mentors were women and it wasn’t an odd thing. Not to say that men didn’t have a place in herpetoculture – they certainly did – but women were making strides as well and there was never that gender inequality that happens in other hobbies and professions. Or at least I didn’t notice it but I’ve always been the type to do what I’ve wanted despite what other people think.

Although it is weird, when people finally meet me in person the first thing out of their mouth is: Wow, you are a girl?!?!?!

I am new to this website and to Jackson chameleons, but I have LOVED all reptiles since childhood! I was a little girl of 4 when I picked up my first lizard and was amazed by it! My mother wasn't so happy though because it was dead! I didn't care, I thought it was cool! Haha!!

Back
Top Bottom