Women, Chameleons and Dubia

I feel your pain, as a single woman with reptiles and 4 tarantulas I find no guys ever contact me. Lol.

I love watching my inherited tarantula "pet" the dubia as it walks around. Shes not sure what it is, but if she touches it it moves. I think shes waiting for it to jump like a cricket so she knows it's food.

haha you just gotta get lucky...

I have a beautiful girlfriend who loves chameleons. She even picks up pinky mice, dubias, crickets, super worms, wax worms, or whatever feeders we need after work since it's on the way home.

She also bought me a Trap Door spider, Zebra Tarantula, crested gecko, and even my panther chameleons for me! She's also getting into exotic pets aswell and Tomorrow we're picking up a PacMan Frog.

You just have to spoil them back and be nice haha ;)

At first she wasn't with the whole roach / insect thing but eventually got used to it. So i can see how your stories go lol

You need a woman who isn't a wimp, who has enough "buggyness" to know the difference between a roach and a beetle, and who likes your chameleons, food and all. But, unless you're the type of guy who farts on the first date and laughs about it, why tell a woman about the roaches before she decides whether she likes you?

That's one of those "conversations" you have when things are getting serious, like - "how many kids do you want", "how close do you want to live to your mother", "would you want to live in Alaska", or "would you mind living with a roach colony."

That's one of those "conversations" you have when things are getting serious, like - "how many kids do you want", "how close do you want to live to your mother", "would you want to live in Alaska", or "would you mind living with a roach colony."

Hilarious!!!! I'm the bug-gal in the household, and also the owner of all the herps. My hubby likes dart frogs and will breed his own fruit flies, but the rest is up to me. He'll feed when I have to work early, but has never and will never attempt to go near the discoids :D

bull-dingle. I am a professional career woman, and I like bugs!

its my husband that is afraid of them

Agreed, I am a professional career woman as well and I love my bugs. My boyfriend is getting used to them, thankfully because I work full time and have school at night (MBA in project management) so I need all the help I can get!

I don't know about anyone else, but for me my chameleons and the hobby in general always gets me a second date. It seals the deal, as it were. Pretty, educated, and has an unusual but cool hobby? Originally I was worried it would be a deal breaker for potential boyfriends but so far it's been much more of a draw than anything else.

And I keep much larger roaches than dinky little dubias ;)

I bred dubias for a while and my boyfriend was disgusted by them he tried to talk me out of it so it can be the same the other way around lol:D

For some reason, when women realize I feed my beautiful chameleons roaches I never hear back from them. Hmmmm...

Professional career women dont like bugs....

I own my own business, house, 3rd degree black belt in Judo, in shape but.......

Oh well , the Chams are happy.

this is kinda funny to me...i had a hard time with the roach thing at first but a week later im over it, its my husband that has the issues with roaches and snake ,etc....:eek:

(Lady friend) What do they eat?

(Me) ahhhhh, welllllll, ummmmmmm .

(Lady friend) Do they eat bugs?

(Me) ahhhhh , welllll, ummmmmm.

(Lady friend) Do the bugs ever get out?

(Me) ahhhhhhh, wellllll, ummmmmm.

Ya it's probably me. They probably think I don't understand English.:rolleyes:

How about this?

(You) Oh, crickets, grasshoppers (trail off into a mumble).

(Lady friend) So they eat bugs?

(You) Yeah, they're kind of like birds, but much cleaner, and no feathers to clean up.

(You) Naaahh. You know, you look beautiful this evening.

or take the evasive route

(You) Small children and other various things of that variety

(Lady friend) So they eat bugs i see a cricket in there

(You) I don't know what your talking about thats my other pet. crickets are good luck in china i am Buddhist

(You) No never as you pick a cricket off her shoulders as you act like your being intense.

i imagine here your reaching with the fingers set to flick then going into a hand on the shoulder. its all about the sleight of hand

I think it warrants mentioning here were all weird. Male / Female, doesn't matter. Western civilization regards bugs, especially roaches, as filthy creatures worthy only of extermination.

Just because most of us are more rational, accepting, and appreciate the inherent wonder in nature doesn't follow that others do. It really takes an above average person to buck social norms and be able to appreciate roaches and recognize it is not rational to fear a captive bred tropical roach.

Being able to be a successful career woman does not require any exceptional ability, just the ability to follow instructions and work hard.

Accepting roaches is probably an excellent selection criteria and a better indicator of a strong mind than material success. They don't have to like the roaches, just not leave when you mention them.

Finally, do not be ashamed or shy about them. People pick up on that stuff. Talk about it as if it is the most normal thing in the world. Humans are social creatures and take cues well...

I'm a girl and I love reptiles, just not what they eat. I'm trying to get over it for the sake of my little buddy, but when one touches me, I still freak out a bit. Can't help it.

On the other hand, I'm dead set on trying to breed some crickets when the ones in my breeder container get big enough to mate. I even spare the larger females from the feeder box and put them into the breeder container. My husband wants nothing to do with it.

My wife noticed my hissers a couple weeks ago..I was told I crossed the line.lol I moved them where she can't see them;) all is well again

My boyfriend will have nothing to do with roaches. I've been wanting to breed them for well over a year now for my rhacs and leopard geckos, and he just can't get on board. Now that we have a chameleon I am trying to wear him down. It's funny, I can get them from a friend who breeds and he doesn't care. The idea of intentionally getting them to have babies is what freaks him out.

Have to keep trying!

Back
Top Bottom