Without Vitamins!

knauzeris

Hello All..

I wanted to find out - is it gonna be ok that about week my cham will eat insects without any of vitamins. No Calcium - no D3 etc...

Why is it so - the pet store i got it from - was feeding hiw some kind of lizzard stuff - called tetrafauna Reptocal - and i red about it here that it is not eve close to be good for chameleon! So i ordered all i need in ebay but it will come like week or something...

So is it ok that my cham will eat only crickets and some roaches without dustin - for about one week! Max 2 weeks in case late postage!

That sounds like a good enough reason to me. Your cham should be okay, just don't double dust the feeders when you get the stuff. Chams metabolism is slow so it will use up what it has stored. If you double dust, then you are loading down their system and it could cause a problem. Just regular dust when you get your supplements. BTW, how old is your cham and what kind?

I was hopping you used a Gutload like fluckers calcium water or cricket crack or repashy gutload. Some high calcium foods to gutload with are Kale, mustard greens, Cereal, Oranges, I use repashy super pig sprinkeled on nature zone total bites in one cup fluckers calcium gel in a diffrent cup purena rabit food in a diffrent cup has alfalfa and lots of calcium foods.

to correct some of the misconception, vitamins are divided into two broad types that you should know about. one is water soluble and the other is fat soluble.

excess Vitamin B and C got flushed out of the body, while excess Vit A, D, E, K got stored in the fat for later use, meaning that the excess will remain in the body of your chameleon.
Those classified as fat soluble are the one that you should be cautious to not over supplement.

Quite honestly, especially at that age, you need the supplement. Try to get the calcium without D3 (this you can even buy at most exotic pet store. So, there is no reason why you cannot get one while waiting for the order to arrive. Plus, you gonna need it anyway; so, it will not be wasted).

I would consider you to up the quality of your gutload materials for better long run. A supplement is supposed to do what exactly it suppose to do, which is to supplement your chameleon nutrition need.

The vast majority of vitamin, minerals, and other nutrition should come from your insect and your gutload regime.
Try to find Dandelion greens (the flowers can be used as well), collard greens, kale, carrot, bok choy, bee pollen, spirulina, and many others.
Feed those gutload materials to your crickets, and you should have a very very healthy and nutritious crickets for your chameleon..

You said..."is it gonna be ok that about week my cham will eat insects without any of vitamins. No Calcium - no D3 etc..."...I don't think a week will hurt without supplements...but I would suggest you feed the crickets, roaches, superworms a wide variety of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, etc.) and veggies (carrots, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, etc.) all the time, but especially feed them well this week until you get your new supplements.

BTW...just to clear things up...calcium is not a vitamin.

Back
Top Bottom