With eggs, Without eggs. (weight)

chameleonneeds

Avid Member
Hey,

One of my Veiled females looks like she has eggs because if she leans or slugs on her perch it looks like bulges above her legs which is how a gravid female would look right.
Her colours are blue and orange spots, I was holding my other Veiled and she saw her so she went very dark green with the blue and orange spots.
Heres the thing she weighs 80-90 so far but wouldnt she wiegh much more.
How much should she weigh normaly and when shes gravid?
Thanks

_Tyrone

I would definitely provide her with a laying chamber. Your question is variable depending on the female, but could be more easily determined with an age estimation and/or a picture. I am assuming that you have a scale. Did you notice a extreme increase of weight. If you gently palpate her stomach, do you feel little round eggs? Is this the first time she has become gravid?
I'll give you an example of my female panther, but I know it's like apples and oranges! Our virgin female panther was around 54g when she was first mated then was up to 70g before she laid. After laying she dropped to 66g. The second retained clutch revealed her weighed increasing from 70g to 76g to 82g just before she laid back in May. Since then she went back down and now is 82g again, and I believe is not gravid. Each time she is preg-o I noticed a sudden increase in weight of about 12-15g. Hope this helps ;)

Hey,

She is 1 yr 6mnths and hasent laid before and was not mated she was round about 70 and now between 80 and 90 since the middle of June till now, I will weigh her everyday and keep posting her weight, in her cage she has a pot plant so would she dig in there? She hasent ever tried digging in it, is it because she can see me? What should I use as a laying box etc and for her to have all the privacy she needs?

Last edited:
From what i have read on these forums,i would provide her with a laying box,i dont know exactly what you should fill it with though. But to get the privacy thing goin on,put a shower curtain over the cage so she cant see ya. But im not a veiled expert!

Anyone know about any good setups for egg boxes etc, that she will lay in with out hassel if she does get eggs, I want to have everything ready cus I dont want to loose any of my females from eggbinding.

Sounds like, with all that weight gain she is pregnant. Is she showing the dark gravid colors? Here is a great example of my friend Justin's gravid female:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/members/justin-carl-albums-veileds-picture602-girl-gravid.html
I've tried two different methods for egg boxes. The first was getting a tall trash can with the swinging lid to situate her in separately. In the chamber I mix a 50/50 ratio of play sand and soil, and moisten it VERY well, so it doesn't collapse while she is digging. In the container I provide the female with branches to sit on for cover, and a low wattage light for heat. This method has been proven successful and provides the female with plenty of privacy....
I prefer the second method getting a deep clear plastic bin that will fit in the bottom of the females cage. I think that the female feels more comfortable in her own environment.
I believe that if she were ready to lay you would see her at the bottom trying to dig and make a place to drop them... Some say privacy is essential, but I believe it depends on the temperament of the female, and many get shy during this process. Is she in a place that someone is watching all day? If so you could consider re-locating her to the corner a low traffic bedroom.
I think a shower curtain all around the cage could lead to lack of air flow and possible suffocation any ways :eek: Maybe just try to block off the two sides of her cage that she sees traffic.....with the blankets....

The patterns are egzactly the same but the dark colour isnt constant she is mostly very bright green with dark orange and blue patterns but when frustrated she gets dark green not realy black as in the pic.
Im going to get everything I need tomorrow bin, sand, soil etc, hope it works out,Ill keep posting

I have had 2 clutchs from my veilds and she never turned the dark black color either. She always looked rather bright green with turquise spots. Keep her well feed and hydrated and keep us informed on whether or not she lays. Good luck.

My female veiled will turn the dark colors right after mating to let the guy know " Hey fella the funs over" and then turns back to her usual colors. Everyone has given you great advice as far as what to do and i agree, with that kind of weight gain, she most likely is gravid. If you don't have a big enough cage to put a big laying bin in, then at least put a smaller one. When she is ready, she will usually start to get very restless and wonder the cage looking for a way out. Usually they stop eating a couple of days before as well. Sometimes they also start hanging around the bottom of the cage, don't know why, too. But at least if you have something, when she is ready she will make a mess and then you know for sure. Sometimes their sign can be very subtle and can often be missed which is why they say ALWAYS keep some kind of laying bin in a females' cage. When you pulpate her stomach gently you should feel little balls like. They're not very big so sometimes you can miss them. Good luck. If and when she lays them, leave her alone. If she sees you watching she might stop and then you have other problems, so privacy, privacy. NO peeking. Well you can but don't let her see you. And make sure you give her plenty of water and food when she is done. You might be surprised how many eggs that little girl will have. Ours just layed 59 but i know alot of people have had more than that.

Debby

OK thanks I have a fishtank with the sand mixture in the cage so far shes not interested when I introduced her to the male she went BLACK with gravid petterns etc, shes still eating fine but I dont feed her as much so that she has a small clutch, she ate a giant mealworm yesterday with calcium w/o D3.
I have towels on top of the cage that I will fold over the cage when the time comes, When do you think shes gonna lay?

Back
Top Bottom