Winter feeder availability

Kaizen

Chameleon Enthusiast
All I want for Christmas...

Little Kenyans, Green Bananas, orangeheads and silkies!

Winter sucks up here.

Can you find anywhere with tiny silks? I buy like 50 tiny silks and just feed and adore them until they're big enough to feed.

But -- you're in Canada. so I have no real help sorry friend
I can order silks, but they always arrive half dead in winter.

Just out of curiosity, how long would it take you to recieve a "bubble mailer" (similar in size to a regular letter) across the border?

Just thinking to myself, the diapause of silk eggs is a few months, so they could in theory be fine in the cold for a while....
I don’t know. At least a week

Psh, you'd be fine to order the eggs then! Especially if you happen to know a guy [or girl] that will send you some that are closer to being laid than hatching. Would almost work out perfectly. Some people have said they've been able to "trick" the eggs by putting them in the fridge/freezer for a week or two (instead of months) and then putting them in "incubation". So, that may be something for "you people" to look at...

Though to be fair, I don't know the legality of said transactions.

I have quite a few cocoons, but doubt they fair well in the mail. Maybe if I have some luck I'll drop you a few in the "post".
20191215_175415.jpg

Get some eggs and dried silkworm chow. I find them easy to raise and feed off. My guys love them.

Eggs are relatively cheap, too. Split them up into 2-3 containers so that you get separate healthy colonies. If one colony fails (illness or mold), you dont have to start over.

Back
Top Bottom