Winning cham for October

BocaJan

The picture that is posted had 14 votes, but the last picture in the bunch had 21 votes. What's up???

I guess the judges votes count more than the members????? Jann

I agree... and personally think it is wrong.
Not everyone is a pro photographer, or will give their own photo, or other photos the scrutiny the Photographerswho are judges do. Personally I think the whole points process is to complicated, and a 2 day entry window should be allowed, and everyone who posts a photo the meets criteria should have the opportunity to have their photo voted on. Whether it be 20 of 50 shots in the running... We will truely know the fav shot of the members by a straight up vote. This is how it has worked in other forums I particapted in, and I really like how it gives everyone a shot. That and besides having a lot to choose from, makes the processes fairness unquestionable.

This should be a contest for everyone to participate in and have fun....Not a hunt for the nest calendar shot, where your pic will be deemed not good enough before voting eve occurs.

ya I just noticed that also the last one had 21 votes yet didnt win... sumthing seems a little wrong to me even if the judges have there votes thats just too much a voting margin

Everyone is up in arms over the end result of the voting, but I'd like to hear why you think that pictures deserves to win.

Becasue it's an uncommon species?
Certainly not a good reason.

The Uthmoelleri's body isn't even in the whole shot.
They are a beautiful specis, why not see the whole body.
It's a typical shot for a head pictures.
Spazz up the angle when you are shooting a head pictures.
It's not even in the greatest focus.

The winner this month, IMO, is clearly the best choice.

It deserves to win because it had the most votes! Why have a contest if the person with the most votes doesn't win?

This discussion will continue in circles unless we each define what it is we actually want out of the contest.

Is it a photo contest? Then the best photograph should win. Generally, people do not vote for the best photograph, they vote for the photo that first catches their eye, and that might mean the brightest colors, the rarest species, a 'lucky you had a camera in hand' moment. All of these are fine but may not define the best photograph.

Brad is trying to blend the voting of general member's preference for a photo, with a panel of judges that is literally scoring points based on composition, clarity, etc.

For the most part..I'm pretty convinced that the best photograph usually wins. Possibly not the one that made everyone laugh, or had the oo's and ahh's factor.

To speak to the issue you brought up Joe of not culling the first round of entries and just letting the contest be as large as possible. I'm not sure that'd work. Wouldn't most people just vote for their own photo and we'd have a contest of 50 entries, each entry getting one or two votes each. The best photo would never win.

The question is, what would build this community best and be the most fun that we could participate in together? I do think Brad is trying to accomplish that.

Then don't bother having us vote. You guys just decide who wins. That way we won't expect that our vote counts.

This discussion will continue in circles unless we each define what it is we actually want out of the contest.

Is it a photo contest? Then the best photograph should win. Generally, people do not vote for the best photograph, they vote for the photo that first catches their eye, and that might mean the brightest colors, the rarest species, a 'lucky you had a camera in hand' moment. All of these are fine but may not define the best photograph.

Brad is trying to blend the voting of general member's preference for a photo, with a panel of judges that is literally scoring points based on composition, clarity, etc.

For the most part..I'm pretty convinced that the best photograph usually wins. Possibly not the one that made everyone laugh, or had the oo's and ahh's factor.

To speak to the issue you brought up Joe of not culling the first round of entries and just letting the contest be as large as possible. I'm not sure that'd work. Wouldn't most people just vote for their own photo and we'd have a contest of 50 entries, each entry getting one or two votes each. The best photo would never win.

The question is, what would build this community best and be the most fun that we could participate in together? I do think Brad is trying to accomplish that.

Very well said and I agree.

I think the wow factor of the picture should be considered as well as the composition/contrast/clarity of the picture. Obviously if it's horribley blurry then it shouldn't be there, but if the subject of the picture is great - then that should really be considered as well. Folks shouldn't be discouraged by the need to have a more expensive higher quality camera/lense setup that gives some of us an edge on clarity, composition, and all of the quality aspects of a good picture. This is a community level competition and not a professional level competition.

I do feel that the setup as far as the judging and voting by community is a great mechanism for the competition. It prevents friends voting their friends to the top, but consideration from the judges should be made on the subject of the photograph along with the other points of interest -- remembering not everyone has a dslr with macro lenses or other expensive lenses.

I'm cool with the current setup on a personal level, but wanted to weigh in on my opinions in regards to how others feel. I don't expect to ever win a picture contest I'm just entering them for fun.

I guess I don't understand the rules. I thought the "committee" went through the entries and eliminated the ones of the wrong size, not on topic, very poor quality, etc. and come up with 12-15 pics that went out to the public for voting. Everyone got a vote for their favorite picture. The one with the most votes win.

So, what is the criteria that makes a picture win if not our vote? I think it would be a good thing to know since you post the amount of votes that each picture receives.

Thank you.

Then don't bother having us vote. You guys just decide who wins. That way we won't expect that our vote counts.

Jan,
Just as in any election, votes matter. I feel that Royden has hit the nail on the head with his post. A lot of people will vote for photos that are the funniest or "by chance" scenarios. No matter what kind of camera you have, you can always try and be "artsy" and compose/frame the shot nicely. I'm no professional by ANY means, but I still very much so enjoy learning and viewing others photos.

When I first got into photography I had specific subjects I would shoot and send in to a major website that had a rigorous review process. My first year of submissions were entirely rejected, but the reasonings for rejection (as much as they would royally frustrate me) ended up making me a much better photographer now than compared to then. So, while rejection reasons aren't exactly given here, look through the winning submissions and learn from the consistency. The judging panel is made to ensure that the integrity of the contest is upheld (at least in my eyes). I myself have judged once in the past, and Brad makes it quite clear of the criteria we are to look for in a photo. Don't be fooled into thinking that point and shoot cameras don't stand a chance when compared to SLR's. If you take the time to compose your shot, you can easily have just as nice a photo as the next, if not better! The Flickr community is proof of this. I can spend hours on Flickr and be amazed by photos I see, and want to know what setup some people use. You'd be surprised at how many of the best shots come from a "non-professional" camera setup.

I agree with what you guys are saying but how do you know the judges arent friends with the winner. I am not saying they did I am just putting it out there because both are very beauitful animals.

Last edited:
Casidonacid,
How do we know that a bunch of people weren't pulled together to vote for one photo in a public vote either? You just have to go with the flow. I highly doubt this scenario (or yours) to be true though.

Just so everyone is clear on the point structure here, votes count, but don't count in the means of how many points an actual photo RECEIVES. As taken from the contest rules:

The Point System
The contest uses a point system for determining contest winners. Each photo entry receives a certain number of points, and the photo with the most points at the end of the contest wins. Photo entries receive points in the member voting and judge ranking phases.
Member Voting
First, second, and third place photos receive 5, 3, and 1 points respectively.

Judge Ranking
Each judge assigns points to their three favorite photos according to an objective list of criteria. Each judge gives out 3, 2, and 1 points to their top three photos. Currently there will be 2-3 judges per contest.

Also, so that everyone is clear, the only person that knows how many votes a particular photo really has is Brad. When I've voted in the past as a judge, I was not made aware of what photo was currently holding first, second, or third place. This is purely unbiased, or to the best of the way that it can be.

Cameron how do you know that im not right? I dont think either of us can read minds i was just saying. I doubt that brad and the judges did, because they are all great people I was just saying.

Cameron how do you know that im not right? I dont think either of us can read minds i was just saying. I doubt that brad and the judges did, because they are all great people I was just saying.

As stated and said above, I used the word "doubt." I in no way called you out. You just have to take it how it is. :)

Back
Top Bottom