Wine Fridge Recommendations

Tony_S

Chameleon Enthusiast
I'm looking to purchase a wine fridge to keep my horn worms and BSFL in. I just received an order of horn worms from Josh's Frogs on Saturday and half of them are already getting to the cut off point of feeding them already. They tripled in size in the last 24 hours.

My garage fridge is 39 degrees at its lowest setting which is too cold for the horn worms going by the care instructions that came with them.

What wine fridge are people using for their feeders?

p.s. amazon links would be great.

Thanks,

Tony

Build one in the house ?

Attachments

• 5361A937-BBBC-485D-93E1-C512C7FFEB6F.jpeg
    5361A937-BBBC-485D-93E1-C512C7FFEB6F.jpeg
    210.5 KB · Views: 77
  • D586EBD1-8433-4F4B-83A0-4782D2D71CF6.jpeg
    D586EBD1-8433-4F4B-83A0-4782D2D71CF6.jpeg
    184.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 451CB3E7-7653-40C4-8111-B5B84C35B524.jpeg
    451CB3E7-7653-40C4-8111-B5B84C35B524.jpeg
    193.5 KB · Views: 80
I also have a 46 bottle Frigidaire I got from Lowe’s which is where I keep the BSFL. I’ll try to find the model number

I have just started putting my hornworms on the hard plastic cold packs... Literally. I have the small lunch box size. I place two in a tupperwear container and then drop in a matching tupperwear to sit on top of them. Then I put in the container of horns food side down so they have air. It drops the temps to about 55 degrees.
I do two days on changing out the packs each morning and then a day or two off. This has slowed growth quite a bit. they stop eating and growing while on the cold packs.

I bought my wine cooler off craigslist. You can just use the frig, it keeps them smaller for longer than the wine cooler or take their foot away. Set up a cup with no food and keep them in there without food for two days and then the cup with food every three days.

I guess I'm open to any ideas on how to keep them from growing so fast. In the winter time I kept them in my semi-heated garage that stayed right around 50-55 degrees. But now that its summer my garage is in the mid-upper 70's. I moved them into my house, but its still 72 with my central AC running.

I used to keep the white worms for my fish cool with frozen bottles of water in a styrofoam cooler rotated from the freezer and the cooler. They like similar 50 degree temps too

For the time being, I just grabbed my personal igloo cooler that we use for the drive-ins and threw a couple ice packs in it. It's sitting at 55 degrees right now. What temperatures can you set a desktop fridge to? Aren't they designed to keep the food at or below 40 degrees?

I used to keep the white worms for my fish cool with frozen bottles of water in a styrofoam cooler rotated from the freezer and the cooler. They like similar 50 degree temps too
I have just started putting my hornworms on the hard plastic cold packs... Literally. I have the small lunch box size. I place two in a tupperwear container and then drop in a matching tupperwear to sit on top of them. Then I put in the container of horns food side down so they have air. It drops the temps to about 55 degrees.
I do two days on changing out the packs each morning and then a day or two off. This has slowed growth quite a bit. they stop eating and growing while on the cold packs.

Thanks for the idea, this will work until I can get something better.

I bought my wine cooler off craigslist. You can just use the frig, it keeps them smaller for longer than the wine cooler or take their foot away. Set up a cup with no food and keep them in there without food for two days and then the cup with food every three days.

Used one off of craigslist is a good idea since it will only be housing feeders I really don't want to spend a couple hundred dollars on it.

For the time being, I just grabbed my personal igloo cooler that we use for the drive-ins and threw a couple ice packs in it. It's sitting at 55 degrees right now. What temperatures can you set a desktop fridge to? Aren't they designed to keep the food at or below 40 degrees?
I have no idea if the temps are adjustable for the desktop fridges. I thought maybe they are crappy and don’t get very cold. I had a mini fridge but gave it away last year

Back
Top Bottom