Window

bbqandtinyb

New to the hobby and wanna start off right. Haven't bought anything yet, but I'm thinking of making my own cage for a juvenile panther (Which I plan on purchasing at the Expo in Pomona on the weekend:D). I don't have any questions regarding the actual construction, but I'm more concerned with the placement. The only place I have open (i.e. not taken up by a fish tank) is directly in front of a easterly facing window. I live in Southern California, so the weather is pretty pleasant year-round, and the room doesn't get very hot even with the blinds open (I'd say it stays somewhere between 75°-80° during the day thanks to the thermostat) So would it be OK to place it there? If It makes a difference, I do have heavy drapes that could be closed on unusually sunny days. Does anyone have any experience with cages in front of windows? Thanks in advance!

Good luck!

New to the hobby and wanna start off right. Haven't bought anything yet, but I'm thinking of making my own cage for a juvenile panther (Which I plan on purchasing at the Expo in Pomona on the weekend:D). I don't have any questions regarding the actual construction, but I'm more concerned with the placement. The only place I have open (i.e. not taken up by a fish tank) is directly in front of a easterly facing window. I live in Southern California, so the weather is pretty pleasant year-round, and the room doesn't get very hot even with the blinds open (I'd say it stays somewhere between 75°-80° during the day thanks to the thermostat) So would it be OK to place it there? If It makes a difference, I do have heavy drapes that could be closed on unusually sunny days. Does anyone have any experience with cages in front of windows? Thanks in advance!

You should be ok near the window. During the morning when the sun comes in try and take a temp reading while in the light. If you don't get any kinds of spikes you should be ok. If you do get warmer temps from the sin coming in you can always close the blinds for a while and open them later. Chams love to watch stuff... so having a window vie will be good for them.

Just so you know the light form the window ill not help your cham as far as UVB. Yes sunlight is good for chams BUT sunlight through a pane of glass will be filtered and useful rays of UV will be removed. So you will need to provide the proper lighting for your cham.

There are going to be a lot of local cham people at the show from the forum.

Thanks!

Cool Beans! Thanks for the advice ;) Can't wait for the Expo. Hope I don't spend too much money...:p But who knows how that will go...

Keep a close eye on the temps when the sun is shinning in. At that point it may get to hot for your guy and you'll need to close the blind. I have a cage in front of a window and even when it's cool outside the sun coming in that window get pretty hot.

I monitor mine also since they are all in front of patio doors. However, when the sun is shining in I turn off the basking lamps and give them an extra misting. They can and will mosey over to a leafy section of their cage to stay cool.

Back
Top Bottom