Window screen cages

mkess

I have seen a posts somewhere about using window frame kits to make cages. I have been searching all day and couple posts I do find dont really explain how it was done or what was used. If you have built one or know how they are built can you help me out?

Mike

I have seen a posts somewhere about using window frame kits to make cages. I have been searching all day and couple posts I do find dont really explain how it was done or what was used. If you have built one or know how they are built can you help me out?

Mike

I actually thought about this wandering Home Depot the other day... It would seem but I could be wrong, that as long as you use 4 window kits taller than they are high and two window kits that are square equal to the width of the first kits... It's just a matter getting them together and hinging the door on...

EDIT: I would assume a water sealer would be a good, permanent way to keep the sides together... Then just adding the two hinges on the front screen and a lock to keep it closed... I'll look more into this if you want to PM me I think I may start this as a project to open this realm of cage building up

I actually thought about this wandering Home Depot the other day... It would seem but I could be wrong, that as long as you use 4 window kits taller than they are high and two window kits that are square equal to the width of the first kits... It's just a matter getting them together and hinging the door on...

EDIT: I would assume a water sealer would be a good, permanent way to keep the sides together... Then just adding the two hinges on the front screen and a lock to keep it closed... I'll look more into this if you want to PM me I think I may start this as a project to open this realm of cage building up

That would be a great thread if you could do both ways, one from window screens and one from scratch and compare time, prices and over all quality :D I wish I were a tad bit more handy.

When I recently priced it out for me to build a 24"x24"x48" screen enclosure it ended up being around $20 less for me to build it myself. My thoughts were,
1. I am handy but have never made one before. One mistake and it would be back to the store and more supplies.

2. Having someone build one for me that have done dozens of them before will ultimately be a better product than I could do on a first attempt.

3. Supporting site sponsors is more important to me than supporting Home Depot.

I went with this cage and have very few complaints.
http://www.diycages.com/15201/15243.html

When I recently priced it out for me to build a 24"x24"x48" screen enclosure it ended up being around $20 less for me to build it myself. My thoughts were,
1. I am handy but have never made one before. One mistake and it would be back to the store and more supplies.

2. Having someone build one for me that have done dozens of them before will ultimately be a better product than I could do on a first attempt.

3. Supporting site sponsors is more important to me than supporting Home Depot.

I went with this cage and have very few complaints.
http://www.diycages.com/15201/15243.html

I hear ya, I bought all mine at LLL reptile, my brother builds houses though and I want him to build me an outdoor mansion for sunning :D

you can just buy the frame in the long piecesvand get like a mitre box to make a flush cut...they sell the corners seperately so you can actually make one to whatever size you would like...all you do is measure, cut, attach the corners, fit the screen and spline it in and trim the excess...once you have the frame, drill little pilot holes for the screws and put it together..you will need hinges and locks as well but i think they sell the locks that are on the LLL cages at home depot

I did a video series on how I build all of my cages. If you only have 1 chameleon, it might be better to just buy a manufactured cage. I have a lot of chameleons, so it is more practical for me to build them myself. I enjoy building things, so that's the route I take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNl5IMXFCI

I did a video series on how I build all of my cages. If you only have 1 chameleon, it might be better to just buy a manufactured cage. I have a lot of chameleons, so it is more practical for me to build them myself. I enjoy building things, so that's the route I take.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnNl5IMXFCI

Just as always that video was epic informational... I will be using this video to build a conjoined screen cage soon! Thanks for posting!

Mike
I just made a cage like that with those materials, I’m assembling a video showing how I made it and it’s cheaper than most methods, I was able to do so in less than $100, will be updating soon with that video for the community!

I just made a cage like that with those materials, I’m assembling a video showing how I made it and it’s cheaper than most methods, I was able to do so in less than $100, will be updating soon with that video for the community!
Please note that this thread is 10 years old.
Not to dissuade, but there are already several videos on building screen enclosures from window screen parts.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=diy+screen+chameleon+enclosure

One that I often refer people to is in 4 parts:

Always room for improvement! :)

Have you finished it ?

Back
Top Bottom