William Exploded

ajacobson

I thought my panther, William, was acting weird the last few days. He wasn't as active and not eating like normal. Well I went to mist him this morning, and he's exploding! This is is first shed with me, and so far his tail and leg has skin hanging off. He also looks really wrinkly, is that normal?

I'll post photos soon. :)

So he has already completely shed everything except for a couple pieces near his eyes, chin and feet. When I first saw him this morning just his tail and hind legs were shedding, then he just totally exploded. I felt so bad, he was gaping trying to get the skin off his neck and walking back and forth and rubbing on the plant and screen to get off the skin on his face. It was a really fast shed though! Here are a few pics from the shedding.
IMG00059-20100626-1111.jpg
IMG00055-20100626-1107.jpg
IMG00061-20100626-1115.jpg

Looks good, make sure you keep the humidity up!!!
Keep misting!
I also picked up some tropical mist from zilla with aloe vera in it, that seems to help too.

Looks good, make sure you keep the humidity up!!!
Keep misting!
I also picked up some tropical mist from zilla with aloe vera in it, that seems to help too.

What is this aloe vera???

LOL when I read this thread I swear to you all, I had a horrible image in my head! Good thing he is healthy and shedding for yah! :D

It is not necessary and no one on this forum has ever mentioned using it. When they are young that is what they do. They are trying to get out of their skin and do weird things. The best thing to do is keep up the humidity, same as normal and make sure he has a drip going all day regardless. Misting 2-3 x a day helps everyday too. ;)

They are talking about the tropical mist that has a pic of a chameleon on it. You can get it at petco. I've tried it with my panther but he hates it worse than warm water even if its warm so I dont use it anymore. It made him cough.

I had a bad image from the title too...

Those are great "shed" pics....it does look so horrible for them, but they seem to get over it quickly. Just watch that nothing gets stuck "around" something (like a limb or a tail). That might need help...otherwise, about all you can do is mist, mist, mist and wait it out.

I had a bad image from the title too...

Those are great "shed" pics....it does look so horrible for them, but they seem to get over it quickly. Just watch that nothing gets stuck "around" something (like a limb or a tail). That might need help...otherwise, about all you can do is mist, mist, mist and wait it out.

Sorry for the bad image!

He did a good job getting all the skin off. At one point he had a "helmet" and he crawled to the top of his cage and stepped on the skin with his front leg and tore it off. It was a super fast shed, I only see one tiny piece stuck under his chin now.

From what I've read and my minimal experience, the babies will do that "explosive" shed. Once he gets to be an adult it will probably be a bit here, a bit there...nothing as dramatic as the young ones'.

here's a pic of my last cham in one of his first sheds. they do explode! it calms down, like everyone has said, when they got older.

Attachments

• IMG_8338.jpg
    IMG_8338.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 104
Back
Top Bottom