Will my veiled chameleon get burned being too close to the uvb

Please post a photo of the light set up and the cage.
On a different note... What are you feeding/gutloading the insects with?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? Be specific.
What's the basking temperature?
How are you providing water and how often?

Please post a photo of the light set up and the cage.
On a different note... What are you feeding/gutloading the insects with?
What supplements do you use and how often for each? Be specific.
What's the basking temperature?
How are you providing water and how often?
I feed my veiled chameleon crickets about 10 a day I feed like 3 for breakfast lunch and dinner I cover them in calcium powder if I am out of crickets I feed meil worms the basking temp is about 80 degrease sometimes 85 I leave a dripper on all day it drips on leaves I put a water dish in there so if I’m not there and the dripper runs out it has access to water sometimes I mist the cage with water

You need to start feeding all at one time, and when you say calcium powder what do you mean? Feeders should be sprinkled with calcium without D3 at almost every feeding, calcium with D3 two times a month and a vitamin supplement two times a month. I would ditch the meal worms(not a good food source) and substitute for super worms cause I’m guessing you get your feeders at a pet store. They’d be Better for your Cham.

Watering, Chams drink the dew or water droplets off of leaves so the water bowl isn’t going to do you much good. Keep running the dripper, take the water bowl out and start misting the cage either by hand or get an automated system (plenty out there that are cost effective) which would be the best for the Cham. It would ensure plenty of opportunities to drink.

The basking temp is better at the 85 mark so try to keep it there.

Good luck hope this helped!

You need to start feeding all at one time, and when you say calcium powder what do you mean? Feeders should be sprinkled with calcium without D3 at almost every feeding, calcium with D3 two times a month and a vitamin supplement two times a month. I would ditch the meal worms(not a good food source) and substitute for super worms cause I’m guessing you get your feeders at a pet store. They’d be Better for your Cham.

Watering, Chams drink the dew or water droplets off of leaves so the water bowl isn’t going to do you much good. Keep running the dripper, take the water bowl out and start misting the cage either by hand or get an automated system (plenty out there that are cost effective) which would be the best for the Cham. It would ensure plenty of opportunities to drink.

The basking temp is better at the 85 mark so try to keep it there.

Good luck hope this helped!
Thank you for the help

No problem, can you post pics of your enclosure and the Cham to see? Btw I don’t believe it can be burned by the UVB. KP, (Kenny Powers) likes to sit directly under his UVB too. The screen directly under only gets to about 91 degrees, I don’t believe that’s hot enough to burn him. I figure if it doesn’t burn me, it won’t burn him. (Scales are tougher then skin (y))

I use the blue Repti-Calcium powder without D3 at every feeding, then I use the Green Repti-Calcium with D3 the 1st and 3rd Friday of the month, then I use the Rep-Cal herptivite vitamin supplement the 2nd and 4th Friday of the month.

Follow this schedule, get these supplements and you’ll be good.

And it’s twice a month, not every two months.

Good luck

Last edited:
@VeiledChameleon1212 ....I use herptivite twice a month...not every two month....however be aware that it has beta carotene prOformed source of vitamin A so you need to decide if/when to use a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A in it.
Would my veiled Chameleon be able to sleep with the red heat lamp? I might want to leave it on in the winter at night because it gets cold at night, should I do this

It's recommended that there is no light at night. If your room is very cold at night...like sown into the high 50's F then use a heat emitting "bulb" at night.

Yeah i’d Say no light. Unless your room drops below 55, and @kinyonga says a heat emitting bulb, what she means is a ceramic heat emitter. It produces only heat, no light. Your Cham doesn’t need any lights on at night cause it could mess with his sleeping patterns. Temp drops are actually beneficial. They come from a climant that’s substantially warmer during the day then at night. A 10-15 degree temp drop is actually quite natural.

Back
Top Bottom