will I need an upgrade?

NashansCamos

Chameleon Enthusiast
I have gotten many mixed answers to this question, all very expirienced keepers and members said different things. So I'm going to start a thread :) . My current enclosure for my baby panther who will be arriving soon is an exo-terra 2x1.5x3,( 24x18x36, 60x45x90) enclosure large enough for a male panther?I think most of you will say no BUT he has 2 free ranges(1 indoor, 1 outdoor) which we will take him out on weekly if not daily. I worked hard on the 24x18x36 and really do not want to have to upgrade.
This is the current enclosure
IMG_4509.JPG

You know the answer already.... This will be fine while a baby and juvenile but ideally if your going with glass you want a 36x18x36.
Also it does not appear that you have a bioactive layer with drainage. You really need this along with CUC if your going to have dirt on the bottom. With those vines you need suction cups or something to mount or take the enclosure apart and use pond foam to anchor real branches. Those fake vines crumble pieces off... If he rubs his eyes on them they are a risk of getting pieces stuck in his eyes.

ou really need this along with CUC if your going to have dirt on the bottom
I have various woodlice, springtails, and some others. as for the drainage since it's only bark and nothing's planted into it I thought it didn't need drainage

Size aside, a humid enclosure with live plants will eventually collect water in the bottom. You need a drainage layer (1"+ of coarse, non-absorbent material) or no substrate at all to avoid creating a moldy, mushy, bacteria-laden swamp of a floor!

As for size, think of how large he'll be as an adult- well over a foot. In an enclosure less than twice his length, he'll only be allowed a few steps from one side to the other. That impedes his ability to escape lights & heat, or to live an enriched life with things to do besides sit in the same spot. Height tends to be priority #1 with chameleon enclosures because they are arboreal, but side-to-side space provides additional opportunities to thermoregulate and live comfortably. You can't skimp on either and expect your chameleon to be happy inside, even if he's allowed out for a few hours every day. An animal's primary living space should always be enough (if not more than) to live a happy life!

Size aside, a humid enclosure with live plants will eventually collect water in the bottom. You need a drainage layer (1"+ of coarse, non-absorbent material) or no substrate at all to avoid creating a moldy, mushy, bacteria-laden swamp of a floor!

As for size, think of how large he'll be as an adult- well over a foot. In an enclosure less than twice his length, he'll only be allowed a few steps from one side to the other. That impedes his ability to escape lights & heat, or to live an enriched life with things to do besides sit in the same spot. Height tends to be priority #1 with chameleon enclosures because they are arboreal, but side-to-side space provides additional opportunities to thermoregulate and live comfortably. You can't skimp on either and expect your chameleon to be happy inside, even if he's allowed out for a few hours every day. An animal's primary living space should always be enough (if not more than) to live a happy life!
We also free range him a lot but still the cage is important

I see those little rocks or whatever. Do you know where to get those?

I have various woodlice, springtails, and some others. as for the drainage since it's only bark and nothing's planted into it I thought it didn't need drainage
so panthers like width?
So yes you do need a drainage layer... If you do not have this set up correctly there is no where for the water to go except flood the dirt... Take a look at this blog for correct set up... https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Per size. Width and height in combo is best for chams. They are then able to have better gradients for temps by putting basking on one side the opposite side is much cooler so they can escape the heat. I have wider format cages for my boys and they use every single inch. A lot will not go down to do this they will stay as high as they can but I have found that my boys both move out of the heat to the other side of the cage when they are done basking. Never going down always to the other side. 36 would be the minimum height but with that you want the 36 wide.

I've a cat don't know how they'd interact! I let Hammy the cam out most days, if he wants out. He loves basking on my sunny windowsill.

So yes you do need a drainage layer... If you do not have this set up correctly there is no where for the water to go except flood the dirt... Take a look at this blog for correct set up... https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/intro-to-bio-activity.2429/

Per size. Width and height in combo is best for chams. They are then able to have better gradients for temps by putting basking on one side the opposite side is much cooler so they can escape the heat. I have wider format cages for my boys and they use every single inch. A lot will not go down to do this they will stay as high as they can but I have found that my boys both move out of the heat to the other side of the cage when they are done basking. Never going down always to the other side. 36 would be the minimum height but with that you want the 36 wide.
Jasper is in a 30x18x36 which is pretty wide so I might get that cage. It's a really good all-screen cage with glass at the front the only problem I have with it is it has sliding doors so the cage can only really be half way open, kind of annoying.

Do you know odf any glass cages that would be good enough for him? (or screen glass combos?)

Jasper is in a 30x18x36 which is pretty wide so I might get that cage. It's a really good all-screen cage with glass at the front the only problem I have with it is it has sliding doors so the cage can only really be half way open, kind of annoying.

Do you know odf any glass cages that would be good enough for him? (or screen glass combos?)
In the US we only really have access to the exo terra's for glass options. Then we have the hybrid Dragon strands. But those are only available in the US.

Back
Top Bottom