Will crickets lay eggs in organic soil?

Tyaeda

Established Member
title pretty much sums it up.

Trying to breed some crickets in some organic potting soil. will they lay eggs in this or am I wasting my time?

Steve McNary has this down to an art form. He is on the forum, SMCNARY, just send him a pm. He taught me how to cycle the egg container so the adult crickets don't eat most of you eggs.

Steve McNary has this down to an art form. He is on the forum, SMCNARY, just send him a pm. He taught me how to cycle the egg container so the adult crickets don't eat most of you eggs.

Will do! :) I've got aluminum screen covering the soil, and so far none have gotten under it. Think they can still eat them?

I has several shallow tupperware-type containers that I would rotate around. So one would spend a night or two with the crickets and then get closed up and go into an incubator or somewhere warm, and the next clean container would go in. And like that, until the first batch started hatching and they would go into a baby cricket-rearing tub and the container would get new soil and go back in.

Never had a problem with the adults eating the eggs and we had a steady supply of pinheads for everyone. I used to do this at the pet store where I worked for the dart frogs but the boss would let me take tubs home (since I was saving him $40 a week on pinheads) and I fed my own baby chameleons for free this way lol. Win-win.

I do what Olimpia was saying. I have a shallow tupperware container that I've left in the bin of about 300 chirping crickets, for about 3 days. I've taken the container out, put it into a small cricket container, and have been keeping it moist, and warm. I didn't see any laying in it, but I've seen a bunch of mature females with those things, and the chirping has been driving me nuts. In a couple days I'm going to put another laying bin and start another batch.

I do what Olimpia was saying. I have a shallow tupperware container that I've left in the bin of about 300 chirping crickets, for about 3 days. I've taken the container out, put it into a small cricket container, and have been keeping it moist, and warm. I didn't see any laying in it, but I've seen a bunch of mature females with those things, and the chirping has been driving me nuts. In a couple days I'm going to put another laying bin and start another batch.

If you have an Iphone or something like that, enlarge your picture, get a close up of the container the pinheads should hatch in. You can see the tiny white eggs when you enlarge it further on your computer.

Good idea, never thought to do that :) My digital cam takes pretty good macro shots, and the pics are like 4000 X 3000 pixels.

Back
Top Bottom