wild feeder lizard?

Hello I was just wondering if I could use wild caught anole lizards as a feeder for my cham, because I know you can use captive anoles so why not, also what would I do to make wild ones safe. Also how would you care for a feeder lizard

I would not feed them and if you do it would be very sparingly. Personally being a lizard person, I could not feed one lizard to another, but that is just me. Feeding them lizards is feeding alot of protein and not something that should be done on a regular basis. Excess protein in the diet is said to cause gout(uric acid crystals) My chameleons have gotten them in the wild down here when they have wandered into their cages. It certainly will not kill them but something I would not use as a regular feeder.

What you don't know is if the wild caught anole has parasites or not.

that is a good point. Like I said, I have seen my chams get one here or there. They have never gotten parasites that I know of. It is not something I would feed intentionally. Sometimes they wander into the cage and there is nothing I can do about it,

Most wild caught lizards do have parasites. I wouldn't recommend feeding them but if you do then I'd highly recommend regular fecals.

Most wild caught lizards, including anoles, have parasites. I personally have fed both Veileds and Oustalet's anoles, but only occasionally, and only after treating the anole prophylactically with Panacur. Once you have a treated, parasite-free chameleon you probably want to take reasonable precautions to prevent re-introducing worms into your Cham. I have a big Oustie that loves mice- a store bought mouse twice a month is much safer than wild anoles...

Most wild caught lizards, including anoles, have parasites. I personally have fed both Veileds and Oustalet's anoles, but only occasionally, and only after treating the anole prophylactically with Panacur. Once you have a treated, parasite-free chameleon you probably want to take reasonable precautions to prevent re-introducing worms into your Cham. I have a big Oustie that loves mice- a store bought mouse twice a month is much safer than wild anoles...

I disagree with feeding a mouse twice a month. Personally I would never feed one at all. Here's a blog from my chameleon vet.
http://www.ivanalfonso.com/2011/06/vertebrate-prey-for-chameleons-good-or-bad/

Thanks Jann but the blog seems to support my feeding schedule- occasional vertebrate prey for large chams, including oustie's, is ok. His daily diet is crickets, plus super worms once a week- gut loaded and periodically dusted-

Thanks Jann but the blog seems to support my feeding schedule- occasional vertebrate prey for large chams, including oustie's, is ok. His daily diet is crickets, plus super worms once a week- gut loaded and periodically dusted-

When I read this part it sounds like an excellent chameleon vet is not recommending it.

Excessive animal protein in a chameleon’s diet will likely lead to gout and/or kidney failure. Animal protein is to be avoided as much as possible and that’s where pinkies and anoles pose an issue. If you insist in feeding your chameleon a pinkie or anole*1-3 times per week, then make sure you are ready to deal with the potential consecuences and make sure you will be responsible and take care of it if, or when, a health issue develops. If you want to keep a healthy chameleon and still allow them to enjoy some animal protein in their diet, you can make sure to provide a well balanced and varied insect menu and once in a blue moon you can offer an anole as a treat. I do not think a pinkie is a great food item for chameleons regardless of how much they might seem to enjoy it, but with that said you use your best judgement as to what you want to do with your pet.

Variety is key when offering food to our chameleons and I have to say vertebrate prey has its place with some chameleon species. If you do it very rarely and keep a well balanced insect diet, I think you will see only benefits.

Last edited:
Thanks Jann but the blog seems to support my feeding schedule- occasional vertebrate prey for large chams, including oustie's, is ok.

"Occasional" can vary depending on who you ask. You seem to think occasional means every other week, whereas I would call that "regular" or even "frequent". I have personally talked to Ivan on this exact subject, and his definition of "occasional" is more like 2-3 times per year, not per month, and I agree. So, that would not support your schedule.

"Occasional" can vary depending on who you ask. You seem to think occasional means every other week, whereas I would call that "regular" or even "frequent". I have personally talked to Ivan on this exact subject, and his definition of "occasional" is more like 2-3 times per year, not per month, and I agree. So, that would not support your schedule.

The CIN actually did some documentation on this occurrence in the wild. They documented large Madagascar chameleons ate vertebrates some species regularly including mostly Furcifer oustaleti. However in this documentation they we're also found that F. oustaleti ate juvenile Furcifer pardalis and Furcifer pardalis were common in the area meaning they were most likely a regular food item for adult Furcifer oustaleti. I would use caution if you plan on feeding vertebrates to your chameleons as a food item though gout is a proven concern. If I can locate my copy of the article I'm going to post a reference to this claim.

Back
Top Bottom