Wild Chameleons in Malta

Mcanham....they are native themselves.

GrimsbyPatchwork...at that age yes. The males do have a slightly higher casque as adults though as well.

Nielsen...nice collection of photos!

Last edited:
Wow! Great find, I can't wait to see pictures as they grow up :) I assume that you could keep them outside year round since they are native. Does the temperature stay pretty warm at night during the winter in Malta?

They are not native to Malta . They were brought to Malta from Africa in the 1890`s however they have thrived and have not been listed as a threst to nature or anything. Its insects that they hunt ay so they have no / or little affect on our eco system .

At night it is staying in the 80F range but this month we are at the end of summer and showers have started and temps are starting to drop slowly ...I am housing them in an outside cage. they have shade in the porch and about an hour and a half of sun in the afternoon.

I have a half covered cage so that they can still find shade if they had enough of the sun especially considering their size...I assume that they are a week old.

Will post some more photos soon.

Beautiful set of Photos ...Are the brown and green coloration directly related to the sex ?

Also apart from the casque , is it only the hemipenal bulge that identifies the male from the female ?

Thanks.
well, both sexes can varry in colours, but yes males tend to be more brownish and females greenish. Males also have a larger casque and a longer tail.

Another one we found crossing the path at the zoo !

Attachments

• DSCF7791.jpg
    DSCF7791.jpg
    250.8 KB · Views: 492
Another one we found crossing the path at the zoo !

Hi,

My partner and I are currently on holiday in Malta, staying in Bugibba. Tonight we spent almost an hour trying to spot a chameleon in the trees and bushes but we couldn't find any. We won't be staying very long and would LOVE to see one. Are there specific locations (preferably in Bugibba) you could recommend?
Thanks!

Hello everyone. I just moved to Malta about 6 months ago but no luck so far. I have been in the bushes in Pembroke nature reserve by the osmosis plant and various other places. This Saturday we are going to Il-Majjistral national park and hope to find one. Although I am a bit worried, night temperatures have dropped the past few days to 5-10 degrees C. Would that make them hide daytime?

Hello All,

We have been taking a winter break in Malta (Golden Bay) for the past 3 or 4 years now, but imagine my surprise when
on taking a walk through some low growing conifers I chanced upon a chameleon. I had no idea that they inhabited Malta,
thinking they were denizens of Africa, and upon surfing the internet found that they were from Africa, having been introduced
from the north of the continent by missionaries. What I should interested in learning, however, is why would missionaries do that?
Anybody know please?

Attachments

• DSCN2341 - B.jpg
    DSCN2341 - B.jpg
    383.1 KB · Views: 244
Hello All,

We have been taking a winter break in Malta (Golden Bay) for the past 3 or 4 years now, but imagine my surprise when
on taking a walk through some low growing conifers I chanced upon a chameleon. I had no idea that they inhabited Malta,
thinking they were denizens of Africa, and upon surfing the internet found that they were from Africa, having been introduced
from the north of the continent by missionaries. What I should interested in learning, however, is why would missionaries do that?
Anybody know please?

That's a very interesting and strange choice of animal for them to bring! In many cultures, chameleons are considered bad luck or associated with "dark arts" and it is more common that they are killed or avoided than intentionally brought to new places. Wish I had an answer for ya

That's a very interesting and strange choice of animal for them to bring! In many cultures, chameleons are considered bad luck or associated with "dark arts" and it is more common that they are killed or avoided than intentionally brought to new places. Wish I had an answer for ya
Thank you Syreptyon, that is very interesting. I was unaware of them having been assoiated with bad luck or the "dark arts."
Christopholes. I will keep digging.

This is why I swear my luck has gotten worse since getting chameleons

Thank you Syreptyon, that is very interesting. I was unaware of them having been assoiated with bad luck or the "dark arts."
Christopholes. I will keep digging.

Some articles about it.

https://www.kapama.com/rangerblog/the-stories-behind-chameleons-in-african-culture-and-folk-tales/

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/ar...h0C3T4g/nine-colourful-facts-about-chameleons

My favorites are from the second link.

"1. There’s a story that the chameleon looks so bizarre because it was made by the Devil from spare parts.
It is said to have the tail of a monkey, the skin of a crocodile, the tongue of a toad, the horns of a rhinoceros and the eyes of a who knows what?!"

"8. The chameleon is thought to be responsible for humans being mortal.
The Zulu of Southern Africa believe that the chameleon was told by God (Unkulunkulu) to send a message to humans to tell them that they could live forever. The chameleon set off but, due to its slow gait the, it took so long to get here that God changed his mind and instead sent a lizard to break the news that his people could die. People blame the chameleon for this and it is seen as an omen of bad luck in many areas."

Mcanham....they are native themselves.

GrimsbyPatchwork...at that age yes. The males do have a slightly higher casque as adults though as well.

Nielsen...nice collection of photos!

they are introduced, as was demonstrated both by historical records as well as by genetic studies

Back
Top Bottom