Wild Chameleons in Malta

Thought I would share with you a couple of photos of a common chameleon in Malta ..I come across quite a few especially due to the fact that I can`t help myself looking for them when I go in an area with trees and shrubs :) ..

Chameleons are now found in all parts of the island ...they had release only a few in a garden in St.Julian`s in the late 1980`s and have reproduced and spread over the years > http://www.mepa.org.mt/chameleon

Here`s one of quite a large one I found . Over 15 years ago I had also a female who layed about 30 eggs which had all successfully hatched but a few of them had passed away before I released the rest.

Attachments

• Common.jpg
    Common.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,933
  • Common (1).jpg
    Common (1).jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 1,398
Thought I would share with you a couple of photos of a common chameleon in Malta ..I come across quite a few especially due to the fact that I can`t help myself looking for them when I go in an area with trees and shrubs :) ..

Chameleons are now found in all parts of the island ...they had release only a few in a garden in St.Julian`s in the late 1980`s and have reproduced and spread over the years > http://www.mepa.org.mt/chameleon

Here`s one of quite a large one I found . Over 15 years ago I had also a female who layed about 30 eggs which had all successfully hatched but a few of them had passed away before I released the rest.

cool! you should post more pics of them:rolleyes:

Dragon born...It's a common chameleon...chamaeleo chameleon.

That`s right it is a common chameleon . If I am not mistaken there are about 3 variations of the common chameleon which are pretty similar and not sure which are in Malta since I cannot tell the difference . I see a slight difference in the crests and length of the heads but other than that there are a few variations in colour green/brown/greyish .

Interesting to notice that although these are wild, I have came quite across a few which are as docile as can be and didn`t mind being handled .

I will try to post a few more photos in the near future

Congratulations and fantastic!

This thread actually should be posted or moved to the field observation sub forums. If you could could you post pictures of the habitat that you located your specimens of Chamaeleo chamaeleon in?

So the pictures in this message are of woodland in the North of the island and the other is central of the island ..that is were you will find the most if you look for them. You can find them on all parts of the island though as when they were released (I heard about 20 or so were released in a garden in St.Julian`s which is east of the island) and started to spread, there was far more greenery as there was little property development. Nowadays due to the ever growing property development, some of the chameleons which inhabited development zones have been forced to inhabit empty plots between houses/apartments or gardens.

Malta is pretty small island with a population of circa 450,000 people and is humid due to being an island > Area - 122 square miles-316 square km (Malta 246 sq km, Gozo 67 sq km) Gozo is a smaller sister island and the chameleon is also found there. It was most probably due to the fact that someone had caught them from Malta and released them in Gozo.

Attachments

• Mizieb Woodland.jpg
    Mizieb Woodland.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 883
  • Buskett  Malta.jpg
    Buskett Malta.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 850
The ones I owned in the mid 90's were all very "mellow". They could be kept in pairs even when the females were gravid. Babies were easy to raise.

Last edited:
The ones I owned in the mid 90's were all very "mellow". Hey could be kept in pairs even when the females were gravid. Babies were easy to raise.

Cool so were there common chams for sale in Canada in the 90`s ? They are very hardy ! temps in summer here can go up to 90F in the shade and up to 110 in direct sun with no rain for a good 3 months ...in the winter it can go down to 50 and sometimes lower between Dec - Feb .

Just wanted to say I love this thread! I am planning another Europtrip next fall and might need to add Malta to my itinerary! Beautiful pictures! I would love the chance to keep a chameleo chameleon someday :)

Yes, there was one shipment of about 30 hat came in to a store near me. I bought 2.3 and mated them in late summer. All three females laid a clutch and almost every egg hatched. I had more eggs the following year. The original 5 were either for over four years. I kept about a dozen of the babies and most of them were with me for over four years.

Just wanted to say I love this thread! I am planning another Europtrip next fall and might need to add Malta to my itinerary! Beautiful pictures! I would love the chance to keep a chameleo chameleon someday :)

Well pm sometime if you will be visiting so that we can hook up so that I can take you to the best spots ;)

Yes, there was one shipment of about 30 hat came in to a store near me. I bought 2.3 and mated them in late summer. All three females laid a clutch and almost every egg hatched. I had more eggs the following year. The original 5 were either for over four years. I kept about a dozen of the babies and most of them were with me for over four years.

That`s quite something ! I had kept about 5 free ranging in a closed off terrace...they only had a problem with each other for the first couple of days ...after that they lived in perfect harmony for about 3 years until I had to set them free again ..Missed them like heck but the terrace had to be opened again !

It must be so awesome to be able to see them in the wild!

I always wished more of them had come into Canada. They were one of my favorites even though they weren't as colorful as some species.

So look what I have come across yesterday ...was out looking for branches for an outside enclosure and first tree I looked in ...Bam I found a neonate ...

Sure as you might assume, shortly afterwards we found another one in the same tree :)

I have decided to keep these. They are currently in an outside enclosure and have a already enjoyed a misting as the weather was very hot and dry lately .

Looking forward to seeing them grow!

Attachments

• PipSqueak.jpg
    PipSqueak.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 645
  • PipSqueak (1).jpg
    PipSqueak (1).jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 629
  • PipSqueak (2).jpg
    PipSqueak (2).jpg
    28 KB · Views: 677
Back