wild caught stick bug

I've read that some are poisoness but Im not sure, the indian walking sticks are good feeders but it sounds like you may have a native type since you found it in the wild. Where are you located? maybe google your geographic location and stick bugs and see if you can identify it before you feed it off.

thanks man. I live in san diego. I found out they are actually all over the place down here and i guess theyre pests. it looks likes its most likely Carausius morosus aka Indian walking stick. only other questions is my veiled is about 6 months old, will he do fine eating the bug? the bugs only like 4-5 inches long. and my veiled can eat the large crix

I'm still waiting for my stick bugs to hatch from when I got them at the last south bay meeting.

If it is an indian stick bug and you would like to feed it off feed it bramble (blackberry/raspberry leaves) for a week or so first to get rid of anything bad it may have consumed. It is true that wc insects can have parasites but regular fecals are a good idea if feeding wc insects. I feed seasonal wc insects caught in pesticide free areas frequently and have never had a problem with it. One other thing you can do is start a colony of walking stick insects, they are extremely easy to care for and you only need one female to start a colony as they lay fertile eggs (they dont need a male) google it for morw lots of info on it if interested.

As ghetto stated if your worried about what the insect has ingested just let it eat bramble, mulberry leaves, romaine lettuce, dandelion etc... for a few days. That will purge what it has eatten. I'd wait and see if it was a female. If so a colony of stick bugs would be awesome to have as added variety. All you need is an extra screen cage to keep them in.

thanks for the feedback. think im going to feed the stick bug some dandelion greens for a little to purge it. how long should it be before a female would begin laying eggs?

thanks for the feedback. think im going to feed the stick bug some dandelion greens for a little to purge it. how long should it be before a female would begin laying eggs?

Not sure your stick will eat dandelion greens. To clean its gut out feed bramble. Try blackberry, or rose leaves that are chemical free. Brambles are thorny plants of the genus Rubus, in the rose family (Rosaceae).

once the bug is an adult (approx. 4 to 5 inches long) and is done its final moult it will lay a few eggs everyday until it dies, the eggs can be left at room temp and misted once in a while (adults should be misted daily as well) , they can take up to a year to hatch. I started with four 1 inch sticks about 5 months ago, they are still alive and have layed at least 150 eggs or so. If you cant find any bramble or rose leaves you can try rommaine but they will not thrive from it, you can use privot as well but it isnt a good gutload.

Chris... please let me know if it eats the dandelion greens, if so I will buy some or pick some in the spring. thanks.

All C. morosus are female (in N. America anyways.) they do just fine when fed lettuces. They even eat really thinly sliced potatoes and carrots (and they love ficus.)

I'm still waiting for my stick bugs to hatch from when I got them at the last south bay meeting.

You have a cultivation of stick bugs as feeders?! I am intrigued, are they good/nutritious feeders? I'm looking to expand my feeder insects to anything I can get my hands on :D

You have a cultivation of stick bugs as feeders?! I am intrigued, are they good/nutritious feeders? I'm looking to expand my feeder insects to anything I can get my hands on :D

I believe he's talking about a praying mantids egg case. Not walking stick. Although I hear many people refer to mantis as stick bugs. ( mostly the midwest region of US )

Back
Top Bottom