wild caught hornworms grown out in captivity?

Jikkermanccini

Established Member
Heyo, I was recently given some hornworms off of my sister's tomato plant for my lizards. They were all less than 1/3" when I got them, so they were hatclings, and I grew them out to 1/2" with leaves from my own tomato plant. However, I know that feeding them this way long-term will make them toxic, so would it be possible to transition them onto another food source (cucumber, lettuce, radish, etc) for a few weeks, and would that reduce their toxicity at all? I plan to feed them off when they are over an inch long, so I feel like it would be more than enough time for the tomatine to pass through their system.
Thanks!

They poisonous to feed chameleon. Any bug off tomato is poisonous. Wouldn't chance it even if grown out. Depending on bugs diet changes what bugs is made up of so it would still have toxic in its make up that would still be there. They only like 4 bucks for them if get small on dubia roach site

Let them grow massive and fat and then when you see they aren’t eating and have a pulsing vein down their back, put them in a box of slightly moist loose soil (with a lid or they’ll climb out). Check out how I’ve done it. It takes a while for them to emerge from their chrysalis. Have some nectar ready to feed them (recipe for diy hummingbird nectar online) and nature will take it’s course. Collect eggs daily and they’ll hatch quickly. Have plenty of chow mix on hand. You’ll end up with more hornworms than you’ll know what to do with. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hornworm-adventure-aka-what-have-i-done.187201/

Let them grow massive and fat and then when you see they aren’t eating and have a pulsing vein down their back, put them in a box of slightly moist loose soil (with a lid or they’ll climb out). Check out how I’ve done it. It takes a while for them to emerge from their chrysalis. Have some nectar ready to feed them (recipe for diy hummingbird nectar online) and nature will take it’s course. Collect eggs daily and they’ll hatch quickly. Have plenty of chow mix on hand. You’ll end up with more hornworms than you’ll know what to do with. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/hornworm-adventure-aka-what-have-i-done.187201/
Thanks for the tips! This would be a fun project, I love breeding and propagating things, so breeding hornworms would be right up my alley. I'll give it a shot!

Back
Top Bottom