wild caught grasshoppers?

caroline?

Avid Member
Hi, so my dad owns about 200 acres in the middle of nowhere in texas and they have crazy grasshoppers there, theirs like millions of them. i was wondering if i could feed them to my chameleons? we don't use pesticides there and neither do our neighbors out there, i don't know much about parasites though, would they be a problem?

Theres always a possibility of parasites with wild caught bugs, which is why I would personally never do this. But if you really want to, make sure it's not the black ones with the yellow stripes, I know those are toxic I think

mine are large enough to eat hoppers now but the foam hopper is the most toxic but its in Africa,.... google it first! to be safe there are lots of pics and check at least two different sites

Attachments

• grass hopper.jpg
    grass hopper.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 72
Lubbers are toxic.

I wouldn't worry much about the constant fear mongering over parasites in wild caught bugs. You're more likely to get parasites from captive insects! I know many people, myself included, that regularly feed wild insects(I even have several neighbors! Oh no pesticides!) And have NEVER had a problem. Most pesticides that would harm a chameleon would harm the bug IMO. You could always collect some and let them sit for a couple days in a container if you're worried.

i believe what we have it 2 striped grasshoppers but i'll check when grasshopper season starts, and make sure they aren't the toxic ones!

Theres always a possibility of parasites with wild caught bugs, which is why I would personally never do this. But if you really want to, make sure it's not the black ones with the yellow stripes, I know those are toxic I think
there is always a possibility of parasites with the bugs we buy too. the chance gets higher when you buy bugs from iffy sources

The grasshoppers will be relished by your cham. If they're in a large field, they are probably quite content hanging in it and not venturing too far off. I would be more concerned with pesticides then I would parasites...and if you know what goes into your field, you should be fine. I feed wild caught katydids and grasshoppers all summer long, and I'm NOT in the country. I do sometimes keep them for a week or two and "clean their guts" with food I provide...but then you also loose some of the nutritional value that they've collected by foraging in the wild.

If you know the bugs are coming from a land that is not being treated for pests, and you're neighbor isn't a farmer who is likely spraying like crazy... then go for it.

Back
Top Bottom